Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Six of One Half Dozen of Another

My FIL (that's Father-In-Law) for those of you not up on acronyms) sent me this "test". http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/yankee_dixie_quiz.html
It's an interesting one; a few questions that seek to discover if, by how you answer them, you are more "Northern" or Southern". Or, "Yank" or "Reb".
I took it (being a sucker for these types of things) and it turns out that I am 50% "Yankee". Which means, likely, that I am 50% a bunch of other stuff.
I suppose, given my somewhat nomadic experience in life (I have lived and/or visited a lot of different places) AND the fact that I've mingled with a lot of different folks throughout my life (get your mind out of the gutter but I suppose there is that, too) it's no real surprise.
However, sometimes I have to admit to feeling that I don't have a strong sense of "identify" when it comes to "where I'm from".
The other day, my father said I was a Hoosier since a) I was born in Indiana and b) 3 out of 4 of my parents are from Indiana. But, I don't feel like a Hoosier. I've not really lived the Hoosier life.
To me, that is somewhat like saying someone whose parents came over from, say, Italy, is Italian, even though they were brought up in Boise Idaho. Technically, yes, they ARE Italian (ethniticity) but they probably feel more like someone from the USA because they ARE someone from the USA.
Ok, well, so, (I am trying to think of what to type next); what DO I identify with? I've lived in: Lafayette, IN; San Diego, CA; Lexington, KY (although I am loathe to admit THAT); Long Beach, CA; Culver City, CA; Redondo Beach, CA; Moreno Valley, CA; Anaheim Hills, CA; Colorado Springs, CO; Torrance, CA; Durham, NC.
Well, given this "distribution", I suppose I am a Californian.
Especially considering if I ever got the chance, I wouldn't mind at all living there again some day.
Mrs. B

No comments: