Sunday, February 10, 2008

Atonement

In our yearly quest to see as many Oscar-nominated films and performances, we went to see the much nominated (but not for Best Actor or Best Actress, more on that later) movie "Atonement" this afternoon. Actually, we really wanted to see "No Country For Old Men" (highly recommended by sister in law Analee and which also garnered a lot of nominations) but it was no longer playing at the theater we went to.

Anyway, we thought "Atonement" was okay. At the risk of being a spoiler; it's not the most chipper movie we've ever seen. My guess is the book was a lot better. Frankly, I am a bit surprised that it even got nominated for Best Picture, but that could be because, as often happens, there just aren't that many good movies out there worthy of a Best Picture nomination.

So, there was a big bally-hoo that neither Keira Knightley or James McAvoy were nominated for their performances in this film. A shut out! Well, in my opinion, I think the academy nailed it this time as I didn't think either performance was really of a stand-out nature. Not bad, not terrific. Boy, that Keira Knightley, as lovely as she is, is looking sort of stick like...I mean sick like these days.

The young Irish actress Saoirse Ronan was nominated for best supporting actress for her performance of the Knightley character's younger sister. As I haven't seen any of the other actresses' performances in this category, I can't really comment other than to say she was decent enough, but I have a hard time believing she's going to beat out the likes of Cate Blanchett, Ruby Dee or Tilda Swanson.
Well, not a whole lot else to say on this topic.

Yeah, my Blog fodder is a bit weak these days, sorry, y'all!

Mrs. B








2 comments:

Mr. B said...

Well, the photography wasn't too bad. I did like the way that some of the scenes ended and then you saw a flashback to what happened just prior to the scene.

Anonymous said...

Haven't seen the movie. The book, by Ian McEwan, is very good. Saturday, by same author, is even better.