Sunday, February 24, 2008

Mom and Lucy's Travel Adventure: Part Two

Day Two: 21 February 2008, Thursday
We both passed a relatively peaceful evening in Room 203 at the Red Roof Inn. I ended up sticking my earplugs in simply because I could hear some noise from 95/the street. I heard Lucy bark briefly once or twice when, likely, she heard people walking by outside but, otherwise, she was quiet for the duration.

We got up around 7:30 and went for a brief walk; we wandered around the outskirts of the motel property a few time so she could do her business. I managed to carry a small cup of coffee (much needed). While out walking, we kept running into a man in a jogging suit who was, apparently, getting his exercise by fast-walking around the property. He’d make about two rounds for every one of ours. We were obviously not moving as quickly as we should have been!

We got all loaded up (and believe me this is a task with just one person carrying everything to and fro, so, it wasn’t technically “we”, it was “ME”) and left Jacksonville right around 9:00 am. After a brief detour to a McDonalds (Egg McMuffin, yum yum!) we drove on to Ocala. As predicted would occur, we ran into quite a bit of rain slightly north of Ocala on 75. I had to stop at a rest area and change into jeans and a jacket; the shorts I had on being far too skimpy for this sort of weather. Despite the relative shortness of the trip (3 hours), I managed to obtain another 7 license plates, including North Dakota (a rarity).


We arrived at Jack and Roberta’s right around noon. Lucy was certainly happy to see her Grandpa and Grandma Burling again (Fritz probably wasn’t too happy to see HER, though!) I was happy, too of course, to be there!

Grandpa Burling nicely gave up his master bedroom suite for our use. Lucy did quite well in there when we left her for a few hours when we went out to dinner. It is nice to know that she can be well behaved anywhere, especially when she is left by herself.

It was great to be able to visit with Jack and Roberta; we had some good chats and Roberta and I took Lucy on a long walk. Lucy loved being there and she and Fritz managed to co-exist relatively peacefully. Unfortunately, I did not get to see the cats Snoopy and Peanut although I can hardly blame them for not making an appearance given The Goose’s presence.

They kindly took me out to dinner at a Sonny’s BBQ; a new experience for me (hard to believe that I’d never been to one considering how many there are on the drive from NC to FL). I thought it was really good; a varied menu with varied portion sizes as well. I ended up having a small rack of baby back ribs (messy but oh so worth it) a sweet potato, mac and cheese and cornbread (bully the low carb diet while on THIS trip!)

Evening two of our adventure winded down with me and Roberta chatting a bit more before bedtime. Finally, it was time to hit the hay. Both Lucy and I slept wonderfully!

Mrs. B

3 comments:

Mr. B said...

That's pretty good to get ND on the east coast.

Glad that you were able to sleep well at my parent's house. They did tell me today that Lucy behaved herself quite well even though she ate that catnip mouse.

Can't wait for Part Three.

Analee said...

catnip mouse... we don't have anymore in our house because maggie ate them!!!

i'm glad lucy is such a good travel partner! i can't imagine traveling (far) with any of our cats. even mags isn't that "great", she hardly sleeps, tries to stand up all the time and wants in the front seat, which she is not allowed. plus she gets nose prints all over the window and i hate dirty windows.

Mrs. B said...

Oh yes, how could I forget that Lucy got a hold of at least two of those cat nip mice. One she did pretty much gnaw and maul. We took that away from her. A few minutes later, she came trotting back into the kitchen with something blue hanging out of her mouth; the tail of another mouse!

Being thwarted with that activity, she went out into the living room to play with (what I thought was) her Santa toy. She came into the kitchen again (where we were all sitting talking) proudly carrying...one of Grandma B's teddy bears in her mouth! Oh boy!

We got that away from her ASAP; it was a recent gift from Grandpa B to Grandma B and we couldn't have Lucy getting to work on pulling out its stuffing.

Yes, in general, Lucy is doing well on this trip.

More to come (at some point!)