Thursday, February 21, 2008

Mom and Lucy's Travel Adventure: Part One

Day One: 20 February 2008, Wednesday
Believe it or not, we actually pulled out of the driveway right on time, which was 9:00 am. I had wanted to take Lucy for a walk before I put her into the car so that she’d be somewhat tired out. We took our “normal” route and left the house at 8:30 and we were back at the house by 8:45. I needn’t have worried about her being hyper; once in the car and on top of her comfortable bed, she basically crashed out for the duration (I didn’t even have to give her a “sleeping pill”).

Right before we left, I went upstairs to say good-bye to My Sweet Pal, Clyde. I sure as hell hope that wasn’t the last time I’ll see him, but, just in case, I wanted to make sure I did it. Luckily, he’d come out from under the bed and was on his perch getting ready to enjoy a snooze in the morning sunshine. As I said; would that he’ll be there upon my return home, but I am prepared if he isn’t; as much as one can be, anyway.
So, off The Goose and I went; the beginning of our big adventure together! The 2008 “Grandparents’ Tour”!

The first stop was going to be getting gas before we even got onto 40 but it was too expensive so I drove on. I think I ended up stopping somewhere right before South of the Border (still in NC). Prior to this, I stopped at two different rest areas to pee. I didn’t let Lucy out until the 3rd rest area, which was in Santee, SC.
As I said, Lucy did great in the car. She slept and that’s about it. Every once in awhile, I’d look in the rear view mirror to see her up and turning around on her bed; then, back down she’d go. It even took her a bit of time for her head to pop up when we pulled into a rest area or gas station. Given this, I wonder how “out of it” she might have been had I given her a Benadryl?
At the rest area in Santee (and, by the way, is it a requirement that it always be windy at rest area? This was no exception!) I went to pee and then went back to the car to get Lucy. This was probably around 1:15 or so and she was ready to get out of the car! I got her water bowl and poured some water in it, took my sandwich and ½ of an orange and off we went to a picnic table. First, I walked her around a bit in the grass so she could pee, which she did pretty much immediately. Boy, that grass must have smelled really, really good! She hardly picked her nose up off the ground. After, I sat down at the table (she made on somewhat feeble attempt to jump up on the bench next to me but gave it up pretty quickly) and ate ½ of my sandwich (which Mark had lovingly made for me that morning before he left for work). She finally drank some water and I got an excellent picture of her grinning from ear to ear (she really does smile) and then I gave her some of the orange. Oh, boy! She basically ate 2/3 of that ½ of orange! But, I didn’t give her any sandwich because I didn’t want her to puke in the car (she hadn’t had her breakfast that morning for just that very reason and I’m sure she was starving to death).
After I finished the rest of my sandwich, we walked around a little bit more but not much because I wanted to get back on the road.
I discovered, BTW, that the best way to get her out of the car is to open up the glass portion of the hatch, put her leash on, and let her clamber out. This is fairly easy for her as long as her bed is in there to give her a (four) leg(s) up. This was a bit more difficult when I’d taken her bed out (later on at the motel) but she still managed
She readily jumped back into the car, and, after “mom” peed again, we were back on the road.
We got lucky for the most part with the driving conditions. There was only one big jerk just north of the Georgia border that, for whatever reason, ran us right off road onto the right shoulder. I’d like to think he just didn’t see us (he was driving one of those long flat bed trucks that typically has a bunch of cars piled onto it; his was empty but it was still all stretched out). In any event, when I caught back up with him, he seemed pretty oblivious to what had just happened.

We stopped one last time to get gas about 45 minutes from Jacksonville; still in Georgia (can’t remember now the name of the town). What a pit that gas station was! Yuck!
Gas prices, as previously mentioned, were sort of expensive, which figures, since last week they were relatively cheap (around $2.90). I paid $3.15 in NC (I should have stopped at the BP by our house, it was only $2.99 but I thought Sheetz would be cheaper and it was $3.07, which is why I drove on hoping to find something cheaper which I obviously never did). I paid (I think) around $3.07 at the gross gas station in Georgia.
We rolled into the parking lot of the Red Roof Inn right at 5:00 (Mark had predicted the time very accurately!) So, good deal; we left on time and arrived on time (not that we had any particular reason to get here by 5:00 other than I wanted to get the car unloaded, walk Lucy around a bit, go find some dinner and be settled in our room before dark).
I’m glad I’d made an RSVP; not because the joint is sold out but because it was nice to know we had a room ready and waiting. They were able to put us on the 2nd floor (my preference when I am traveling alone) and we are almost right about the lobby (which is open 24 hours). The room is ok; a king-sized bed, anyway. I am still undecided as to whether I’ll let her sleep at the foot of the bed or not. Probably not, because I don’t want her to get into the habit of thinking she can therefore sleep on the bed with me at ANY time (I doubt Clyde would like that at all).

Lucy is doing great in the hotel room (so far). She was really excited at first and I learned an important lesson; don’t let her drink water until she calms down because she basically threw it right back up (but since there wasn’t much in her tummy, not a big deal). I walked her (briefly) before I even took her up to the room. I had to leave her alone whilst I hauled our gear up (she has just as much if not more than I do) and she appeared to do ok by herself for those brief moments. After we got settled (and she barfed up her water), we went for a bit of a longer walk around the hotel grounds so she could pee again (and poop, as it turned out, which surprised me). Then, off the Wendy’s to get mom a salad (not bad except they gave me honey mustard dressing…yuck).
Now we’re in the room, it’s 7:30 and Lucy is zonked out. She doesn’t want to get on her bed nor is she interested in playing with Kitty or any of her other toys or in chewing her bone or the chewie I gave her. She did wolf done her dinner and then some lettuce and a tomato from my salad. Oops, now she is on her bed curled up with Santa. She is very interested in sniffing her way around the room; I am keeping ½ an eye on her just in case she thinks it’s ok to squat.

I’m drinking my wine; Lucy’s sleeping, and, let’s hope people walking by during the night don’t cause her to bark and scare the crap out of me! So far, she’s sort of “grumbled” a bit but she hasn’t out and out barked. I did bring her bark collar up with me so I can always put that on her, if need be.

In a bit, I’ll take her for another (quick) walk and then it’ll be time to get some sleep. I am TIRED; mostly from all of that driving but also because I didn’t sleep well last night at all.

Tomorrow, I’ll have to try and get a longer walk in (this may be a challenge as there isn’t really a good place to walk-walk) and then off we’ll head to Ocala!

So far, Lucy is proving to be a pleasant travel companion. This is very different from traveling with cats. By now, Nigel would be under the bed spread and Clyde would be likely stuck behind the head board. And, I’d get to listen to them digging around in the cat box all night and deal with them jumping on and off the bed. Do I miss that? YOU BET I DO. But, I won’t allow that to detract me from forging an important bond with Lucy and making some new memories to cherish along with the ones of have of my road trips with Nigel and Clyde.

Oh, I got 22 license plates today. The first one was California! That surprised me.
Night night!

Mrs. B

2 comments:

Mr. B said...

That dog is just a ham! Probably hoping for a bite of that ham sandwich I made for you.

Margot said...

Hi