Thursday, February 28, 2008

Experiencing Technical Difficulties


We rely so much on our gadgets and such that, when they don't work the way they are supposed to, to say that we are flummoxed is quite the understatement!

I didn't have any problem jumping on to Jack and Roberta's (unsecured) network. I was able to download my email, reply to a few, and jump off.

Father and Margot have a secured network. Mr. B told me all I would need was the encryption code for their network and the name of their network (both of which I had).

Guess what? It wouldn't connect. It kept saying "incorrect network security key". So, Mr. B suggested a few things, which we did. Still no-go.

After a few frustrating attempts to figure it out, we decided checking with the guy who set up their network was the best thing to do.

In the meantime, we talked to one of Margot's husband's friends who knows a lot about "computers". He suggested things we'd already tried (which made US feel good) but, still, no luck.

We finally got in touch w/ Bob the computer dude (who'd set up their network). He said we'd done everything correctly except there was just "something" with Vista and the router that didn't jive. So, we ended up having to plug my lap top directly into their router, and, presto bingo, there I was on their network.

I got to Sarasota yesterday; at the RV Park w/ mom and dad. Again, an unsecured network. No problem jumping onto it and downloading email BUT I can't SEND email (from Outlook).

Well, there is an easy enough work-around; go to Road Runner's page and just send email from there.

Still, it's annoying when you just don't understand WHY.

In this day and age of so much technical advancement, you'd think there would be more satisfying answers than "just because"!

Mrs. B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shoulda got a Mac!