Saturday, December 13, 2008

My Psycho Cell Phone (And The Kid's Cell Phone Saga)

About a year and a half ago, I stupidly bought a LG Chocolate Mint phone ("mint" meaning it is green). Why they called this particular model "Chocolate" is beyond me, but, anyway. A month or so before I got mine, The Kid got the red "Cherry Chocolate" version. I thought it looked pretty cool (which is always a very bad reason for buying anything as I should have learned when I bought that piece of crap Karman Ghia 20-something years ago).
Roughly six months ago, The Kid started having trouble with her phone. Basically, the four primary "controls" on the front of the phone stopped working. Well, they are critical to the function of the phone so, she went into the Verizon store to try and get it replaced. Thus ensued a big bro ha ha whereby she ended up with a new phone (same model and color) BUT her old battery AND she got charged $50 to "switch the service to the half-new phone". We managed to get that $50 refunded, BTW.
Well, the old battery (which previously had worked just fine in the old phone) did not work in the "new" phone (it wouldn't hold a charge). Luckily (we thought), she had her truly old phone (the phone she had before she got the first Chocolate) which had worked just fine but, of course, she had wanted something "cool" when her two years were up. This time, Mr. B switched the service from the "new" Chocolate to the old old phone (free of charge, BTW, if you do it on-line).
After a month, she in essence wore the buttons out on this phone with all her text messaging (she sends/receives HUNDREDS UPON HUNDREDS of messages per month; which is why we went to the unlimited text messaging in and out of network plan).
So, Mr, B transferred her service to HIS old phone (a very uncool (not even a camera) but still functional phone.
Not too long after that, she started to complain that IT wouldn't hold a charge. Frankly, I thought she was just embarrassed by it and was gunning for a new phone.
Then, her friend gave her one of HER old phones so Mr. B transferred the service to it; a much "cooler" phone.
Alas, this one also won't hold a charge and half the time the charger does not work (I witnessed this myself).
Enter the discussions (pleas) for a new Voyager phone. She's up for a new phone in April or a new phone at discounted pricing next week. Mr. B decided that since she's been doing so well in school, we'd help her pay for the new phone but she had to wait until next week (hopefully it will be cheaper).
All along I was thinking how lucky I was that MY Chocolate phone was doing ok; I don't particularly care for it (I won't ever buy a slider phone again) but, it's serviceable enough.
Maybe a month ago, my phone started to do really weird things. Namely, it calls people on its own! Yes, seriously! Its favorite people to call are Mr. B and my dad, however, if I call someone (or someone calls me), it will immediately call that person back after we hang up. Some other things (which are happening more and more frequently) are; when I open up my contact list, it starts cycling through them at high speed and won't stop until I close the slider. The other day it sent a text message to Mr. B before I'd finished writing it (he rec'd a message from me with "D" and that's it (I was going to ask him a question starting with "Do")). Now, two of my four primary buttons on the front only work from time to time.
So, it seems I, too, will soon be in the market for a new phone. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good phone?

In the meantime, don't be surprised if my psycho phone gives y'all a call one day!
Mrs. B

3 comments:

Analee said...

i think all the phones are made to work about 18 months, seems that is as long as i've ever had one work without problem.

i don't think the battery "lasts" that long, though... even my "new" (6 months or so) phone already has a dying battery.

(my "old" phone was just like my "new" phone but it broke in half. luckily we have the insurance so i got a "new" one for free, the "new" one is just like the "old" one but not yet broken in half.)

Mr. B said...

Maybe we should get the insurance on both of your phones.

Margot said...

Get a tracfone!