Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Defining Good

I initially put that picture on my Blog yesterday (and on Face Book) because I thought it was "cute"; tongue in cheek, as in; "Hey, Santa...naughty can be good, right?" But, the two comments I rec'd made me think about how much the word "good" is used in our language (and probably all languages but I'm not sure if perhaps English tends to use the same word to use many things more than other languages). Add to this that people's individual definition of "good" varies significantly and you have an almost infinite range of "good".
So, to close out the discussion on good, here is Wikipeida's summation of the word and its usages:
Good
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good or goods may refer to-
as an adjective
expressing
usefulness (of objects, "good for")
expressing
expertise (of persons, "good at")
expressing
morality or altruism (of persons)
as an uncountable noun
Good and evil, in religion, ethics, and philosophy
Form of the Good in Platonic philosophy
as a countable noun
Ethic or philosophic good, an object with ethic or philosophic value
Good (economics), an object or service
a surname, see
Good (surname)
In art and popular culture:
Good (song), a song by Better Than Ezra
Good (Goodshirt album), the 2001 album by the New Zealand band Goodshirt
Good (Morphine album), the 1992 nooby by the American band Morphine (What is a "nooby"?)
Good Entertainment
Good Looking Records
GOOD Music, Kanye West's hip hop and R&B record label
Good Records
Good Time Records
Good (film), a 2008 film starring Viggo Mortensen (Hmmm...don't remember seeing this one; perhaps it was not so good after all!)
In company or brand names
GOOD Magazine
Good Technology, a company which sells Push e-mail products for mobile phones
Great Observatories Origins Deep Survey (GOODS)
Hey! They forgot "Good Times"! That is why I've honored the show with a picture on my Blog!
Mrs. B

8 comments:

Doc said...

Good Vibrations

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

GOOD RIDDANCE!


"limendes" Lime flavored underwear?

Mr. B said...

Well, what about Good Luck

Analee said...

i don't have any "good" comments, but i thought my word was also interesting...

oving

what the oven does when it cooks?

Doc said...

"hothes"

Medieval prostitutes.

Mrs. B said...

No wonder Wikipedia is always asking for users to fill in the blanks...they obviously left out a lot of "examples" of utilization of the word "good"!

So, I did not log in so I could get a "word". It is "undaysto".

How a drunk might pronounce "understudy"? I don't know, I didn't get a good word!

Analee said...

off subject... when i was growing up, we had a book called sniglets or something like that. it was weird words (That weren't real words). amy, your drunk understudy would DEFINITELY been in there.

(my favorite sniglet was nevits - the bumps on a cat's tongue.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniglet

Mrs. B said...

I remember Sniglets, I think they concept originated on SNL way back in the late 70s.

This who word verification thing also reminds me of Mr. B's "favorite" game, Balderdash. This game IS a T family favorite; we've had some great laughs playing it. Basically the same thing; you get a weird "word" and make up a definition for it.

Mr. B said...

Hmm, yeah right.