Saturday, December 6, 2008

HOT FLASHES HAVE RETURNED!!!!!

So, a year and a half ago, my hot flashes and mood swings were so entirely out of control that I (we) decided that it would be best to go onto some sort or hormone replacement therapy. After talking to my most excellent OB GYN, we decided that a low grade birth control pill would be the best option.
The thing is, there were other (not terrible but not pleasant) side-effects of being back on "The Pill". About three weeks ago, I (we) elected to go off the pill for these reasons.
Week one was "ok".
Week two, well, Mrs. B's moods got a bit iffy.
Week three (this past week) was better mood-wise (in general; there were some family drama issues that I may have freaked out over more than I would have two months ago) but, man oh man oh man, the HOT FLASHES have returned in FULL FORCE!
One of these entries I will have to try and describe what these damn you know what things feel like when they come on!
"I'm hot!" I will complain to Mr. B several times during the night, throwing off those (why did the FU$$ did I put them on!) flannel sheets. Shoving Lucy off the bed because she wants to cuddle right up next to me. Throw off any clothing I might have left on earlier (because I was cold then).
Then, maybe 10 minutes later, I AM FREEZING! I will tell Mr. B to go turn up the heat.
He sighs. I sigh.
Repeat. Repeat.
While visiting with family last night, I told this tale to which dad rolled his eyes, looked at mom and intoned, "I do NOT miss this!"
BTW, Pete and Lily (Repete) don't bug me yet. But, they have taken to jumping up onto the bed and biting Mr. B's hand/arm/fingers; whatever, as he idly pets them. But, they are just kittens and into kitten antics.
Man, aren't I too young for this? I am only (almost) 45!
But, my overall concern is for my health (for the most part) and I figure some moody behavior and hot flashes is better than a few alternatives.
Mrs. B






2 comments:

Analee said...

have you considered checking into dietary ways to control your hormones? i know that lots of our food products contain hormones in them... like, soy for example.

anyway, i think my mom was about your age when hers started. well, the hot flash part anyway.

i think being pregnant is like your hot flashes, just they NEVER go away. i'm always hot. i still have our cool-to-the-touch summer sheets on the bed. and i rarely sleep with covers. and minimal clothes too... and the cat gets regularly kicked off of my side of the bed! i can feel his heat from over a foot away...

:P at least it is cold outside right now (quick cool off), and you can put clothes/covers on for when you get cold. trust me... being hot all summer sucks. i'll never have another baby in september! (well, not if i can help it anyway!) december is much better temperature wise.

Dena said...

Keep some crushed ice with you at all times to chew, suck or someway get into your insides! I found that if I kept my insides cool, the outside flushing didn't last as long.
But the best thing is, just like being pregnant, once it starts, the end should be in sight!