Sunday, November 30, 2008

Time to Get Motivated!

Last year's tree (I'm not THAT fast!)

Tomorrow is December 1st, which, for me, is the gate that must be passed before I can start thinking about Christmas. This year, though, I've been forced to think about it sooner than I prefer due to my involvement with the DSO and their annual Holiday Pops concert (which is this coming Friday). There I was over at the President of the Board's house the day after Thanksgiving wrapping up Christmas-ish items for the silent auction that will be held throughout the concert. Yesterday found me baking cookies and bars for the dessert buffet for the same venue. I'll be honest; I didn't much feel like a) spending a lot of money on baking ingredients (having had to throw out all of our dry stuff and baking chips earlier this year due to those you-know-what Pantry Moths) for the DSO (having already thrown in more than our share to the cause) and b) baking at all because it was not December yet! So, I made six dozen various cookies and bars but none, technically, "home made". It's still up in the air with me if I WILL make any home made cookies this year; The Kid is gunning for Snickerdoodles, Peppermint Shortbread (a new favorite we added last year) and Mr. B's Chocolate Hearts. In my opinion, if she's wants 'em, she should help bake 'em. But, she's hardly ever here these days so, that probably won't happen.
I think despite the fact it will be December 1st tomorrow, I'm having a tough time getting motivated this year. Maybe it's because I have two icky doctor's appointments right off the bat; one tomorrow and one Tuesday (routine stuff but icky all the same). Or, this Pops thing is hogging up so much of my time (I view it as work, not fun, which is making me re-think my involvement on this Board). Or, is it the weather? Maybe if it would snow!
Well, one thing is for sure, next weekend we'll haul out the Christmas decorations (maybe Mr. B will hang some lights on the house) and put a few things around inside the house (a few because I don't want to spend the next month shooing Pete and Lily away from everything; the tree will be a big enough challenge). I did find some really cute air freshner things from Bath and Body Works that, in addition to difusing stink pretty smells, have bubble lights on them. Too cute!
Ah, the tree. Yes, once we get the tree and proceed with our traditional tree decorating party (consisting of us plus the three pets), sipping eggnog and brandy (us, NOT the three pets) and watching Pete and Lily scamper around the tree, THAT may get me into the spirit.
I have completed our card list and we've got 1/3 of it knocked off. We've actually received one card already, too.
We have purchased 3 Xmas gifts so far (although we're still trying to figure out what we'll do for OUR Xmas gifts; I'm thinking it'd be wise to wrap up pictures of what we'll get (in general) for each other AFTER Christmas when everything will be 75% - 80% off). Is that a cheesy idea? It's not like we need anything, anyway.
So, is it just me? Is anyone else out there struggling to get into the spirit this year? It's not like anything is wrong (to be upset/sad/depressed/angry about).
What does everyone else do to get into the spirit? Play Christmas music? Hmmm...perhaps we should at least dig those CDs out now!
Mrs. B



5 comments:

Mr. B said...

Yes, maybe we should get the Christmas music out. That might help both of us get into the spirit.

Margot said...

Hah! I lost the xmas spirit about 25 yrs ago! Seriously, I hope you don't see your 2 small critters going UP the tree.

Analee said...

i've been listening to christmas music for nearly a month already. my christmas spirit starts the first cold day we have (in the fall)... i swear if no one would stop me, i'd have up my (fake) christmas tree by halloween.

i've not started shopping yet, but i think today kendal and i may go get a few things (so my under-tree area isn't so bare). i know pretty much what i'm getting everyone, i either have to 1) buy it, or 2) make it. and since i haven't the time to make many gifts this year, i will be buying more than last year. i hope the folks that get the homemade gifts appreciate it! i do like making things though... so it is much fun for me!

i finished making 61 christmas cards before thanksgiving (like the day before), i have all my envelopes addressed too - i now just have to write in the cards.

i know nathaniel loves a real christmas tree, but i just don't like cleaning up after them (or maintaining them) or dealing with the sap - i think a fake tree with the smelly candle will have to do this year! (and the next, and the next...) maybe i'll have time today to find the yankee candle that smells like a christmas tree and burn that a little each night.

Analee said...

hey - an idea - change all your playlist to christmas songs! it is a start to decorate your blog, right?

Mrs. B said...

That's a good idea, Analee!