Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Lucy's Trying to Adjust (and More Kitty Pix!)

Lucy's starting to feel slighted, I think. Seriously, although she has done absolutely nothing wrong, she is starting to act a bit "weird". I think she's a bit jealous, but, hopefully, not dangerously (to Pete and Lily) so.
I know this has been a huge change for her. Really big. When Clyde was here, even though he hated her and definitely did NOT seek her company, there still was a distinct "turf" for each of them. Clyde upstairs, Lucy downstairs. This made it somewhat hard on me as I felt I had to split my time between Clyde and Lucy. I certainly don't want to do this now for another 10 or so years! So, I am trying very hard not to "ban" Lucy from the upstairs simply because Pete and Lily tend to hang out there a lot still. But, she's not allowed up there "unsupervised". I might leave the room with the three of them in it for a few minutes at most. When I take a shower, I make Lucy go into the bathroom with me (much to Pete and Lily's dismay as they really like to watch the water dripping in the shower and then climb into it when I get out).
Pete and Lily do venture downstairs, more and more frequently. We keep a good eye on Lucy to make sure she does not chase them. So far, she hasn't, but, she has started this "herding" thing (can anything really herd a cat?) whereby she walks around them and around them until they are "cornered" (not really but she seems to think they are; she is still underestimating their ability to get away from her). Or, she "stands over them". I can't figure out if this is meant to be domineering or protective. Pete tolerates this much better than Lily (must be a "diva" thing) but, still, if she wants them to want to be around her, she has to knock this stuff off.
On the other hand, she has to put up with them climbing in and out of her food bowl, drinking out of both of her water bowls, Pete sacking out on her bed(s); now, they've started to take over "her" sofa in the sun room, and, insults of all insults, THEY are allowed in the living room/dining room and she is not. Oh, and she has to share her mom with them now, too.


So, we're doing our best to make her feel loved and special but usually she stands and stares at me, giving me this "look" (see picture below) or, like an ornery teenager, doesn't obey her commands on the first go. This is sort of reminding me of how she behaved (and looked) when we first brought HER home almost two years ago.


Sigh. I think what we have to do is give her even more exercise than usual and keep monitoring her (and them) until we know they are big enough to fend for themselves.
Mr. B keeps telling Lucy, "They are staying and you'll have to share". I'm not sure she quite gets that concept yet!
Some more sweet shots of our kittes are below. BTW, can you figure out which is which yet? Comment and let me know! Kitty on pie safe is...? Kitty on blanket is...? Kitty sleeping on chair is...? Kitty on sun room sofa is...?


Mrs. B

1 comment:

Mr. B said...

No comments on who's who from me.

I do think that in another couple of weeks Lucy will adjust to the situation and stop trying to herd the cats.

By the way, why do you have the word verification on?