Sunday, November 9, 2008

Maybe...

I finished Clyde's album right before we left for our vacation to California. Mr. B joked to our friends while we were there that I'd have picked out our new kitties by the end of the first week after we returned home. I laughed and said, "Oh, no, not that fast!"
Well...
Yesterday Lucy and I went out to run errands. Lucy loves to ride in the car now, it doesn't matter where to or if she ends up sitting in the car while I'm inside a store. As long as the weather is "safe", we do this (meaning it is not too hot, I don't want a cooked Goose!)
So, yesterday, we went up to the big outdoor mall so I could get some stuff from that testosterone sucking store, Michael's. Right next to Michael's is a Pet Smart. I've been avoiding Pet Smart on weekends because I know they typically have cat adoptions going on and since I wasn't ready, I didn't want to see a bunch of cute kitties. But, now...
I said, "What the heck" and strolled in. Yep, right in the front of the store were the cat adoption people and all of their foster kitties. Lots of kittens, which surprised me. Also, a few older cats. I stopped and chatted with one lady, Christy, who had a cage with two almost identical looking tabby kittens. I asked about the application process, price, etc. She told me about this and then talked about her foster "babies", Scooby and Velma (they had been part of a litter of five that she pulled from a storm drain when they were barely old enough to be weaned...no mother cat in sight...siblings (already adopted) were Fred, Daphene and Shaggy).
"Oh", she said, "they love each other SO much and I really hope they will go to a new home together". Hmmm...I'd wanted two boys, but, well, they ARE cute and do look like they get along well.
Anyway, I told her and the other nice and informative people working there that I had to discuss this with my husband.
I got home and waited for Mr. B. When he finally got home, we talked about it and I realized maybe I DID want these two! So, I went onto their web site and filled out an application form and sent it in. Ah, the joys of technology! Less than 1/2 hour later, I had a reply from the organization saying they had my application for Scooby and Velma and would do the "vet check" Monday or Tuesday (this is when they call your vet to make sure you are a responsible pet owner). The only question they had about my application was not about the "declawing" question (I'd replied that this would be TBD, we'd prefer not, but, if we did, we'd probably do laser declawing and would consult with our vet before doing anything) but about whether we'd let them outside unsupervised. I'd written something about walking them on a leash and they were curious about whether I'd ever done that. I told them I hadn't but my brother had with some success. I wasn't sure, really, if I'd do it or not; likely, they would go outside in our fenced backyard from time to time but only if supervised.
Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Maybe we'll have new kitties next weekend!
But, they won't be called Scooby and Velma. They will be Pete and (probably) Lily.
Here are their pictures! Aren't they cute?

"Scooby"

"Velma"

Mrs. B







1 comment:

Margot said...

Amy!!!! They are absolutely adorable. Sure hope you get them. I think the male/female mix will be interesting