Friday, November 14, 2008

Preparations...and...Good-Byes

Tomorrow is a big day in the B household. We will, at some point in the early afternoon, drive to Pet Smart to pick up Pete and Lily from their foster mom. As I write this tonight, the eve before, I am hazarding a guess that Christy, their foster mom, is going through some bittersweet moments of her own.
Today, in preparation for the arrival tomorrow, I brought out a lot of the blankets I'd put in the closet when Clyde died. The one that "Grammy" got for Nigel and Clyde so many years ago is now, once again, at the foot of our bed. The one that I crocheted that was at the top of the green couch, the one I started when Nigel was dying and the same that Clyde laid on towards the end of his life, is out once again. And others. Like, the candy cane stripped one I gave to Clyde last Christmas that he loved to cuddle in and under. It's out, too, waiting for Pete and Lily.
Also, I dug out of my Hope Chest the basket of toys I'd put in there some months ago when Clyde died. These toys ARE a collection! Many of them have been around since 1991! I cried when I saw Nigel's "Sid the Squid" and all of the collection of Clyde's strings. Yes, it was a bit rough emotionally, but, I realized that Pete and Lily have a lot of legacy toys to play with, and, many that I said to myself upon seeing them, "Where the you know what did that come from?"
I moved Clyde's perch from the sitting room into our bedroom. We've decided the best thing to do initially with Pete and Lily is to let them have our bedroom to romp around in and then initially graduate to the rest of the house.
So, yes, today was sad, in a way, but happy, too. Isn't that what life is?
It is time to say good-bye, really say good-bye, to Nigel and Clyde. Not that I can completely let them go; most of you have noticed the locket I wear now; it has their pictures in it and it always will. My good boys got me through so much and I'll never, ever, forget them.
Now, though, is the time for Lucy, Pete and Lily.
Turn, turn, turn.
Mrs. B

No comments: