Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Few of Mrs. B's Quirky Interests Part One

Ok, so, we all have some interests/hobbies life activities that we like to do/participate in/might even be experts in. Most of us who know one another know the "usual" stuff about each other. For instance, anyone who knows Mrs. B even a little bit knows that I used to be a Human Resources Director, I love cats, I'm beginning to learn about and love dogs, I dabble in the stock market/investments, I'm into cooking and wine, traveling, reading, watching movies and improving my golf game.
But, what are some of my quirkier interests/hobbies/things I know a lot about? Here are a few!

Tudor England History
I may not know EVERYTHING about this period of time, but, I know a heck of a lot. I first got into this in 1980 after a trip to England with my Father and step-mom. I have COUNTLESS books, both non-fiction and fiction, covering the more interesting characters of this era.

Do you know the end of this little ditty? "Divorced, beheaded, died; divorced, beheaded..."?
And, who was this in reference to?


Titanic
No, not that sappy movie with Leonardo di Caprio and Kate Winslet (although I don't think the movie stank as much as some people do). My ex husband got me this terrific coffee table book about this ill-fated "Ship of Dreams". I think why I am so interested in this is not just the grandeur and splendor of the ship itself, but, all of the probing thoughts that go along with what happened, why it happened, and what would have been different had this happened in our time. Do you think the men would have stepped aside and let all of the women and children into the life boats first? Can you imagine what it would have been like to be a woman getting into a life boat and leaving your beloved behind? Do you think the "steerage" class would have stood by and let all the rich folk live while they perished? Well, things are definitely different on cruise ships now; although there are different "classes", it doesn't extend to whether they live or die because, thanks to Titanic, there are now always sufficient life boats on board. I can tell you going on my honeymoon with Mr. B on the Queen Mary II was like stepping back into the past. QMII is from the Cunard/White Star line, just like Titanic. Was I worried? Nah, lightening (or icebergs) NEVER strike twice (or are struck) twice, right?

What was the final song the band played on deck of Titanic before she slipped under seas?

Mrs. B

1 comment:

Margot said...

I'll take a chance on the Tudor ditty... final word would be "lived". At least Katherine Parr outlived Henry.

Last song played on the Titanic... I had to look this one up. There's a moving account of it on Snopes.com