Friday, March 14, 2008

The "Best" Years of Our Lives


People usually can look back on their lives (even if they still have many years in front of them (hopefully)) and say, "Oh, the years of so and so and so and so were the BEST years of my life so far!" I remember doing this even when I was yet a kid; thinking back, wistfully on a particular summer season or school year and remembering them with extreme fondness.

I was thinking on this concept the other day.

At this point in my life, I would say that the years 2004-2005 were two of the best years of my life (so far).

Perhaps one reason why is that I was coming off a few of the WORST years of my life (or, at least, really difficult and challenging and exhausting) but, on their own, they stand out as "freaking awesome" times.

Here's why:

1. I was just 40 and moved into a really nice townhouse in Durham. Having done so, I was closer to my brothers and their wives AND enjoying the adventure of exploring/getting to know a new town/area. I had no idea what was going to happen next, so, the sky was truly the limit.

2. I had my boys, Nigel and Clyde, with me. At that point in time, they were still healthy, happy and chubby.

3. Soon into 2004, I signed up for eHarmony. After one "dud" (SCOTT); I was matched with Mr. B. The rest, of course, is history!

4. I signed up for and did many things I never thought I would; namely, I took some weird touchy-feely courses at Duke (Council) and joined a Council Group. I later enrolled in the ESL Teaching Certificate Program at Duke, and, although I'm not currently utilizing what I learned, it's not something I'll ever lose, either. And, it was FUN being back in school!

5. There were many family get-togethers/gatherings/experiences during both of those years. I had my first Indy 500 experience which was something else again ("Here's a pillow to put over your head if there is a tornado. Anyone want some meatloaf?")

6. Mr. B proposed!

7. Mr. B and I went on A LOT of trips together; namely, our first very memorable trip to Charleston, to the NC Wine Festival, to LA/San Diego, to New York, to Alabama, to the Food and Wine Festival in Orlando, to Ft. Wayne for the holidays, etc., etc., etc.

8. 2005 brought more of the same; lots more gatherings, vacations, etc., with the ultimate for me being our wedding in Charleston in May, our big shin-dig in June and, our fantastic honeymoon on the Queen Mary II and several days spent in London.

9. After spending Thanksgiving in San Diego with friends, the year ended with a big holiday celebration at our townhouse in Durham with just about our entire family there.

So, yeah, great times. GREAT times.

And, I suppose that it is times like these that one remembers when times aren't so hot; as reminders that life CAN be sweet AND will be again.
As I said, these two years came after a few fairly crappy ones.

And, as life often goes, while these years were near perfect for me, there were challenges, disappointments and heartbreaks for those close to me. I'm happy to report, though, that in at least two of those situations, things turned out for the ultimate best all around.

Enough philosophising! Time to suck down some more coffee and get a stick on!

Mrs. B

No comments: