Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Go Forth and Multiply BUT At Different Ages

I read in Sunday's "Parade" magazine an article which high lighted ways to live to be 100 (assuming one WANTS to live to be 100).

Most of what they talked about didn't surprise me, but, one item did.

It said that women who gave birth AFTER age 40 more than quadrupled their chances to live to be 100. I found that really fascinating and have been pondering it. WHY is it, do you think? Is it because, by the time a child/children reached their 40s, you'd be in your 80s and want to live long enough to see grandchildren so you'd stick around to 100? Or, because you'd be so busy running around like a chicken without its head on trying to keep up with a youngster when you're a bit, uh, long in the tooth that you simply don't have time to think about kicking the bucket?

I'm not sure I really understand the rationale (and the article did not go into any depth). But, what was even more strange was that it said men who have children also live longer, ESPECIALLY if they start having their families at a younger age.

Younger than WHAT? Or WHOM?

So, does all of this mean that us broads over 40 should be shacking up with young dudes and having kids by them so that we can all live to be 100? Except we'd be 100 and they might only be 80. And, what about how tough it is for women to get pregnant when they are over 40? Most of us are already starting the periomenapause process, for God's sake.

Well, it's all a moot point for me, of course; I've no intention of leaving my Mr. B for some young dude and I doubt we'll be having kids at this point but, it was worth blogging about. I don't think "Parade" did a great job researching this little factoid!

Mrs. B

3 comments:

Doc said...

Most men who have children tend to quit their bad habits and take on healthier lifestyles.

I quit smoking. I quit eating poorly, and have a balanced diet. I rarely drink alcohol anymore, unless the family is together.

So, in all, it has to do with healthier habits. Also, younger men who have babies live longer because they'll most likely kick the bad habits at a younger age. Thus, they are less likely to have heart attacks, etc., when men usually start failing around 60.

Mrs. B said...

Very insightful, Doc, thanks for you comment.

I guess when I think of the "young men" I knew when I was "younger", I shudder to think of them as fathers. Perhaps, though, being a father might, as you suggested, have eliminated THEIR bad habits.

However (and don't get mad at me), I don't really consider 31/31 as being a "young" parent. But, it IS under 40!

:-)

Analee said...

interesting story. i know the women and men in my family live a long time. and there are a lot of children and grand children and great grand children, etc. maybe they live a long time because of the circle of life, maybe they live a long time because 50 to 100 years ago people worked hard! physically hard! and so did their kids! no sitting around the tv, they had to hand pick tobacco and cotton and work to grow the food that fed the family and even chop wood with an ax!