Monday, March 24, 2008

Mom and Lucy's Travel Adventure: Part Four

Sarasota 27 February – 3 March

We had an uneventful drive from Weeki Wachee to the Fun and Sun RV Park in Sarasota (although it took longer than I thought it would). We arrived at the park and mom rode up on her bike from their site to help guide me back (it was a bit of a maze!) The wind was so strong that mom could barely peddle! Dad was off golfing; so, after we got settled in (basically, due to space limitations, I left most of my stuff in the car so there wasn’t much unpacking to do other than Lucy’s gear), mom and I took “the girls” for a long walk in the wind.
When we got back, we tethered the dogs outside on their little patio. Brook was apparently quite accustomed to this drill; Lucy, however, initially seemed to look on it as some sort of punishment. In fact, she became quite obstinate about climbing into one of the chairs that was sitting out on the patio. I must have gone out there five or six times to tell her to get down; towards the end of this drill, she was actually not even waiting for me to get back into the RV before she was back up on that chair! Needless to say, Lucy and I had some “words” over this behavior. Later, mom and I went out to sit with the dogs. After Lucy saw me in that chair, I guess she finally figured out it was a people chair, not a Lucy chair, because she never did get back up into it the remainder of our stay there!

We settled into our walking routine with dad and Brook; every night we'd go out for a stroll around the park, ditto, every morning (in between 7 and 7:30 am! Yikes!) This particular walk took us near the dog park (which was located sort of behind where mom and dad’s RV was parked). Boy, this usually got Lucy going! Mom and I took Lucy there one day (when there were not any other dogs in there; I didn’t feel like dealing with Lucy and other dogs). She ran around while Brook tried (fruitlessly) to catch her. Brook got tired, Lucy got bored, so, we left. So much for the dog park! However, every afternoon in the grassy area behind the RV, a man would come with his dog (off leash) and throw a tennis ball. The dog would retrieve it, carry back to the man, and drop it on top of the man’s tennis racquet. Lucy was extremely interested in this routine, but, alas, I doubt she learned anything.

The first few nights that we were there it was downright chilly. This, combined with the limited walking space, meant that I decided to allow Lucy to sleep up on the bed with me. I thought she’d jump for joy; but, she sort of settled down near the foot of the bed fairly far away from me. So much for her keeping me warm (she did, however, snore and lick her chops a lot, which meant the next night, I popped in my ear plugs!)

BTW, I was a bit worried that by giving her this “privilege”, she’d get it into her doggie head that this meant she could jump up on ANY bed and try to sleep with me. I’m happy to report that she hasn’t even attempted to do this once, so, I suppose she is smart enough to recognize special circumstances.

On our morning walk the next day, I made an icky discovery. The day before, Lucy had run around the RV seeking out all of the rawhide chewies that Brook left laying around. She then proceeded to chew them all. We thought it was sort of funny, but, let me tell you, her poop was quite disgusting “the morning after”, so, no more rawhide chewies for The Goose this trip!
That day, I met mom and dad’s friends from Maine, Al and Phyllis (Alfonso, AKA, “Fonsie”). They are a real nice couple. They came over for cocktails that evening; dad made his “killer margaritas”! That afternoon, mom and I went to Bealls; yes, I bought a few items for Mexico but very reasonable. And, I couldn’t resist a bright red Hawaiian type top! There were A LOT of old people in that store, though. Hell, FL is full of “old people” and I’m not referring to my parents (any of them) or their friends!
Later, we went to Old Venice for lunch at a pub (more old people there too; a lot of patience is required when you get stuck walking behind a gaggle of shuffling old farts) and stopped at a consignment store; I found some nice things but they didn’t fit right; either too big or too small. Figures.
That evening, I took Lucy for a walk and enjoyed looking at everyone’s “digs”; lots of people had cool neon/lighted signs of palm trees, flamingos and the like. Mom and dad’s is of a martini glass. Maybe I should get one of these for Mr. B!
The next day, Friday, was obviously a sad day for us (having to let Clyde go). We were occupied with this all morning; very difficult. Dad “supervised” “the girls” quite a bit during the day. At one point, Lucy ate his turkey sandwich (in two bites, no less). I guess since it was at her face level, she thought it was for her! Still, “her” mom was a bit aghast at her lack of manners.

Mom and I went to the pool for a few hours. All dressed, too; just like Japanese women protecting our skin, I guess.

We went to see “The Other Boleyn Girl” (pretty decent) and then out to a tapas restaurant (very good).
We came back and I wrote my farewell email regarding Clyde and Blog entry. Difficult. I talked to Mark; he was doing “ok”. He was, understandably, quite sad and lonely. Doc asked him over for dinner the next night; thank you, little bro.

While out on our evening stroll, dad and I almost got run over by some jerk in a golf cart going way too fast down a dark street in the RV park. I yelled at him to slow down, he yelled back to get out of the middle of the street. We weren’t; he probably was drunk and couldn’t see straight. I told mom he didn’t want to tangle with me; not in the mood I was in!

Saturday , March 1st, brought the end of February (thank God; February is such a crappy month) and a visit from Ann and the kids. As I expected, Lucy and Zack hit it off. She did well, in general.
Mom, Ann, Natalie and I went to Old Venice for lunch (different place; Nat likes carbs just like Cailyn does). We wandered around consignment stores, had some ice cream (tres RICH) and came back.
The kids had fun in the pool, as did Ann; after, Ann, the kids and I played Whoonu; lots of fun.
After a great dinner, Ann and I took the girls on a walk. It was pretty amusing to watch my “dog virgin” sister walk Brook!
The following day, dad took the boys fishing while the rest of us sat out in the sun, played Whoonu again and had hamburgers for lunch. At least I got a lot of reading in that afternoon; and, a bit of a nap (in between Lucy barking, that is; she was terribly distracted and agitated by all of the people that continually walked past the RV. I couldn't put her bark collar on (that would have stopped the behavior pretty much right away) because she had her other collar and a tether on; any sort of jingle-vibration movement will set off the collar).
We were going to head out somewhere for dinner on the water but that didn’t turn out too well as the water place was closed. We took a few pictures out on a pier. Then, went somewhere else for dinner which was fine; The Linger Lodge. It had real strange décor; road kill and the like hanging from the ceilings (apparently it has been named one of the top ten strangest places to eat in the US; I believe it!) The food was good enough; I had an excellent gumbo (hopefully NOT made from road kill!)
Dad took Ann et al back to the hotel around 9:30. Most of us were exhausted by that point.
It was a fun but also sad visit in the RV with dad, mom and Brook. Such is life. But, I am thankful that mom and dad were with me when Clyde died. And, being able to see Ann and the kids was an added bonus!
And, dad was great with Lucy (even though he did have to give her “the tongue” one day). Get your minds out of the gutter, “the tongue” is when dad gets irritated; he curls his tongue up and sticks it out. Growing up, all us kids knew what “the tongue” meant! BEHAVE or BEWARE! Lucy, apparently, has a lot to learn yet!
Back to Weeki Wachee!
Mrs. B

No comments: