Thursday, March 27, 2008

Mom and Lucy's Travel Adventure: Conclusion

Back to Weeki Wachee and On to Home
3 March – 5 March

We left Sarasota around 10 am to head back to Weeki Wachee for a few days before leaving for home. Lucy settled right back into the routine at Father and Margot’s; in particular, she was happy to be back out by the pool (although she still showed absolutely no interest in going into the water; I’m not sure she’s really a Lab!)

After spending a nice afternoon out on the porch with Father, Margot and Lucy, we (excluding Lucy, who was baby-gated in my room grooving to music from Father’s radio) went out to dinner with our dear family friend, Jean. Jean’s in her 80s and still pretty much a fire cracker. She also appeared to be doing “ok” with the recent death of her eldest daughter, Beth (who succumbed to breast cancer (only in her early 50s) last November).
That evening, Margot and I stayed up late yakking. This meant it was a bit slow-going the next day, which, as it turned out, was okay, because we had a very relaxing day planned.
After hitting the ABC store (this is where people (that don’t live in California!) have to buy their liquor), Father finally was able to get me to his local watering hole, The Ramble Inn. BTW, the reason we went to the ABC store was the Bombay Sapphire gin in Florida is about $15 LESS a bottle than it is in NC! So, since I’d left Mr. B all home and lonely; busy working and, unfortunately, having to handle a dying cat, I figured he deserved a few bottles of his favorite gin.
So, The Ramble Inn. What a fun place. If you have ever seen the TV show, “Cheers”, that’s what this place reminded me of, to an extent. Meaning, when the door opens, everyone turns around to see who is coming in, and, if the person is known, a wave of welcomes are issued (it seemed to me that everyone that came in was known by someone already sitting in the bar). The interior, though, was nothing like Cheers in Boston (or all the ones that have now popped up in airports across the country), but, rather, sort of road house/biker/dive. But, as I was assured a few times by the local patrons, the food is good and, on occasion, free.

I met many of Father’s golfing and/or drinking buddies and they were all very nice and had a lot to say. They were also gung-ho on buying us beers; but, according to my Father, they all buy each other beers all the time and it all works out.
To commemorate this event, Father bought me a tank top that says “The Ramble Inn Highway 19 Weeki Wachee”. Cool!
While Father and I were goofing off at The Ramble Inn, Margot and Lucy went for a long walk. When Father and I got home, we played more Canasta (I didn’t do too bad but not too great, either). Margot prepared a fantastic standing rib roast and so our final night in Weeki Wachee ended with a celebratory air.
Lucy and I were up early the following morning to gear up for our long drive back to NC. Father helped us load up the car and we pulled out of the driveway around 7:15 am.
And, it was A LONG drive back to Durham; it took us 11 hours 15 minutes; I had to stop MANY times because I was so tired. Lucy didn’t do much but sleep. I have to admit that I sort of regretted not taking Jack and Roberta up on their offer to stay there one last night (that would have cut the drive to about 10 hours which really would have made a difference) BUT I was eager to get home to Mr. B.

It WAS great to be home, but, of course, it was also bittersweet because, for the first time in over 15 years, Clyde was not there to greet me.

So, it was a two martini night for the B’s; lots of tears, too, but, we’ll get through it together.

And, so ends my chronicle of our journey to Florida. All in all, I was very pleased with how Lucy did; she was a good little car rider and, for the most part, obeyed me (and everyone else). She got along well with all the folks she met, and, other than some barking at the RV park in Sarasota (and eating dad’s sandwich and attempting to run off with one of Grandma B’s teddy bears), she minded her P’s and Q’s fairly well.

So, yeah, I’d take her on another road trip. In fact, she’s going to go on one this coming April when mom and I drive to Springfield, MO to visit the Laura Ingalls Wilder home and museum near there.

Stay tuned for more of our adventures!

Mrs. B (and Lucy!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was fun to have a dog in the house. So glad you & (presumably) Lucy had a good time and both of you (as well as Mark) are welcome back asap. You "girls" will have a fun trip to MO.