Sunday, March 30, 2008

What I Had to Go Through to Meet Mr. B: Part One

On this day four years ago, I met Mr. B (in person) for the first time at Mad Hatter's in Durham. But, it was somewhat a long road to get there!

Most of you know by now that Mr. B and I met via eHarmony. I'd decided after I moved to Durham that I was tired of being the 5th wheel, and, more importantly, I was ready, really ready, to hook up with a decent man. Because my past practices of picking men to date and marry hadn't exactly worked out to my best interest, I elected to get help through eHarmony.
Not to belabor the eHarmony point, but, in my opinion, if a person is willing to put the time and effort into filling out a 400+ question survey, more than likely, they, too, are serious about getting serious. Unlike other on-line dating sites, eHarmony's mission is to hook folks up for long term relationships, hopefully, marriage.

So, as I've said before, I started the eHarmony process in, oh, early to mid-February. By the end of February, I'd been matched with a complete twit, Scott (OK, so not EVERYONE was completely serious or honest). After going through eHarmony's structured communication process, we decided to meet in person.

I met him at a bar (his choice; this should have been my first sign) where he'd (self-admittedly) already had three or four beers before I'd even arrived. I opted for Diet Coke and he continued to drink another two or three beers. He reminded me of a Bantam Rooster; short, red-haired, rough-faced (at about my age, his drinking was already showing signs on his face). About the only thing we had in common was that we both smoked (although I ended up quitting that coming June) and we'd both been to Italy (although he did not go to any of the cities I'd been to). I knew pretty much right off the bat that this guy was NOT the one for me, but, being polite, I thought I'd give him one more try (plus I didn't have any one else on the horizon). Finally, he had some really odd last name. Laughingfoot or something like that. OK, while not the most important thing in a relationship, one DOES think about what one's last name might become and, Amy Laughingfoot (or whatever it was) just didn't grab me.
Boy, did I come to regret my decision to meet him again. As we left the bar, I told him, sure, I'd see him again. From that point on, he became a real pest. He sent me emails and IMs constantly, and, even worse, started to call me. He tried to talk me into going to a hockey game with him and his young daughter; I didn't think it was a good idea to meet his kid before I'd figured out if I even wanted anything to do with him. We finally arranged to meet at the local mall to see a movie and have dinner. He wanted to see "The Passion of the Christ"; I really did NOT want to (what a rotten pick for a first date) but, I went along with his suggestion; dreading and dreading and dreading this first date. As the day approached, I really felt sick about it.

Oh, talk about fate intervening! He called me THE DAY of our date and told me he was sick. He went on and on about his symptoms (too much information, but, since this was the same guy who'd called me one afternoon and told me how horny he was, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised). Anyway, boy, was I HAPPY that he was calling to postpone our date.

Actually, I thought he was lying; that, perhaps, he'd been matched up with someone who was a bit more enthusiastic about his being horny, so, he was giving me a line about being sick. Who cared? I didn't, just so long as I didn't have to see him; even better that I didn't have to be the one to tell him, too.

Well, no such luck.

Maybe two or three days later, he started back up with the emails, IMs and phone calls.

I remember distinctly one day, a Thursday, his sending me an IM while I was also IMing with my brother. I sat there and really thought about it; I mean, REALLY thought about it, and realized I wasn't being honest or true to myself by continuing to try to avoid this guy. And, as much as a creep as I thought he was, I wasn't being fair to him, either. But, mostly, I was freaking tired of him catching me on-line and pestering me. So, I sent him an IM and told him as nicely as possible that I really didn't think this was going to work out, that I didn't feel any sort of connection with him.

There was a bit of on-line silence from him. Then, he came back with, "Well, I don't feel any sort of physical attraction to you, either, but I thought I should give you a second chance!"

WHATEVER!
At least this dude was finally out of my hair.

I IM'd my bro, elated. He and his (then) wife came over and we all went out to the James Joyce to celebrate the end of my short-lived relationship with this clown. Long live Strongbow Cider!
BTW, I must disclose that my brother didn't like the look or sound of Scott from the very beginning.

Mrs. B

No comments: