Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Today is the 500th Anniversary of Henry VIII's Ascension

I continue to find Henry VIII (and all of the Tudors) extremely fascinating. In truth, Henry VIII was not always a fat, bloated, gouty-legged tyrant who liked to chop of the heads of wives (and anyone else) who displeased him.
Although this is how most of us picture him, he was, at one time, young and handsome.
I doubt, though, that he EVER looked as hot as Jonathan Rhys Meyers!
Here is a link to an interesting site about Great King Harry.
And, hey, if he did nothing else, he gave the world his daughter, the magnificent Elizabeth I.
Mrs. B

1 comment:

Margot said...

Mebbe it's because I'm an old fart(ess) but I think Meyers looks rather silly as Harry.

The original Harry, even as a youngish man, probably had rotten teeth and probably didn't bathe very much.

I remember the old Masterpiece Theatre Henry series when a young Mary complained to her father that her teeth hurt her, Henry said that he'd send his surgeon round. He would bleed her gums and she'd feel much better.

Ah, dentistry in the 1500s!