Monday, September 8, 2008

Vertigo

I've had this "condition" off and on now for over 10 years. I'll never be completely sure how I "got it" in the first place other than it has to do, most of the time, with the mid to inner ear. I've had issues with my ears for a long time; mostly infections but now that I've moved to Durham, allergies as well.
Anyway, apparently my version of vertigo is subjective, which means it feels like I am moving when I'm not. In my head is a very heavy dizzy feeling; like a big wave of fog. It can sometimes make me feel slightly ill and usually it happens if I'm moving my head up and down or side to side (like, turning around in bed at night or dropping my head down to look at something at waist level or lower). If I for some reason tip my head back, watch out, I'll probably topple over.
So, ten years or so ago, when I first noticed this, I went to the doctor. I was told then, when I asked how the heck did I get this, that it was likely due to all of the air travel I'd been doing (during this period of time in my life, I was taking many business trips a month). Heck, it could have also been because I was living in the higher altitude of Colorado Springs. In any case, the doctor put me on something called Antivert (catchy, huh?) and, after a time it went away.
However, I think my ears have been permanently damaged. Whenever I have any sort of "trauma" to them, meaning, drainage, allergies, infection, cold, etc., these damn symptoms return.
My doctor in LA didn't believe in drugs for this, rather, she did some bizarre treatment in her office where she turned me this way and that until I thought I was going to puke. She said this was to get the "ball bearings" in my ears back into the right position. Then, I had to sleep sitting up for several nights.
Since then, the vertigo comes and goes. Usually it goes away on its own after a few days.
Why it popped up this morning I have no clue. But, it is here. And, I had a few dizzy and sickening moments earlier today. After taking an Aleve, it got better. But, now, 12+ hours later, it's starting to bother me again. I told Mr. B it feels like I have to stretch my brain; sort of like when you get a Charley Horse in your leg. Plus, my ears are throbbing and ache.
Crap! Thankfully, it's not so bad that I can't drive or work or anything. Still, it is ANNOYING!
If I went back to LA my doctor there could do her ka-booki dance over me and maybe it'd go away. But, for now, I'll just stick it out and hope it goes away, for now.
Mrs. B

2 comments:

Analee said...

well this may help you...

last time i was pregnant, i kept getting vertigo. turns out i was anemic... barely, but enough that it made me have dizzy spells.

this time it hasn't been bad, but maybe you should have your iron checked!!!

Margot said...

So sorry, Amy. Have had it only once (flu or something) 15 yrs ago so can't offer advice as Analee did. However, just did a very quick google & came up w/this from medicinenet.com: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=89793
It discusses "benign paroxysmal positional vertigo" & describes the exercises your LA MD did.
Sounds to me as tho you need to see an MD & established WHY.

Good luck.