Saturday, September 27, 2008

Somewhat of a Surprise

So, y'all know I've been doing some consulting work with a company down in Greensboro since mid-August. So far, it's been going pretty well; I've settled in to a routine with them that works for all of us. And, of course, it was certainly exciting receiving my first payment from them a few weeks ago; the first time I've earned money (my own choice, of course) since August 2003.
Anyway, the guy that I'm working with there, Dave, who I used to know in a past life, asks me this past week while I was there if we could talk. This in and of itself posed a dilemma since, as the company culture there is "bull pen" (cubicles) conference room space is at a real premium. So, we ended up in the mail room (I kid you not) with him basically blocking the door (he's a big guy) and shooing away persistent employees who felt a need to come in and collect their mail.
The bottom line is, he is going to leave HR and go into sales (for this same company). He seemed very excited about it and I don't blame him; being more of a recruiter than a generalist, I'm sure his current position has caused nothing but headaches and stress for him. Sales is a perfect option and, in reality, that is somewhat what recruiting is; he'll just be selling the company's product as opposed to selling the company.
Anyway, as I was standing there wondering how much longer they'd be needing me (the new HR person might not really want to pay my rate or have someone else in mind), he asked me if I'd considering taking his job. I was a bit taken a back by this.
He went on to say that he really needed to have a slate of candidates to put before his boss. I'd be one of them and they already knew me (or of me) and I already knew something of the organization and plus I had a lot more generalist background then he did, etc.
He also said, somewhat sheepishly, "Hey, I know you're just now getting back into this, but, I have to ask you and if you'd at least consider it, I'd be grateful". He's no idiot. He knows that I really don't have a desire to drive to and from Greensboro every day (about an hour and ten minutes each way), nor, after basically retiring 5 years ago, would I really want to jump back into this? And, this would be a huge leap, folks. We're talking a lot of hours, a lot of politics, a lot of stress; frankly, a lot of you-know-what that this chickie doesn't want.
Not to mention, I really don't think they could pay me enough to entice me, despite the promise of a company car and company paid gas (in this day and age, that would probably lure me more than a bonus plan!)
I gave it the thought it deserved, though. To be fair. I weighed the pros and the cons. Mr. B said, "If you really want to do this, we could move to Greensboro". Yeah, that would make his commute a hoot! I don't think so. Besides, the most important thing here is, "How does this make me FEEL?" And, really, it makes me feel FREAKED OUT!
I was also asked to think if I knew anyone else that might be interested. Actually, this is a lot more fun to think about! Yeah, I do know some folks, one person in particular, who would be great for this position (although I don't know if he could be lured from Southern California to North Carolina).
So, when I go back down to the office next week, I'll have to see if I can secure the mail room so I can tell Dave that it's not for me, but, I'll work on a list of names for him.
And, hey, it WAS flattering to be asked.
Mrs. B

No comments: