Thursday, September 25, 2008

Velveeta

Lacking anything of real significance to blog about today, I'm gonna write about Velveeta.
Huh?
Really, what I mean is, how ironic it is that, in my life, I've known two people whose name seem to be some sort of derivitate of Velveeta.
Many years ago, a good friend of mine's mother in law's name was VELTA So, Velveeta minus the "vee".
She was sort of an odd person and my friend didn't really get on with her all that well. Although not one to complain a lot, she did grouse about her MIL from time to time such that, on occassion, I'd ask her how things were going with her. The thing was, I had a hard time remembering what exactly her name was so, the first time I asked, I said something like, "Hey, how's it going with Bob's mom Velveeta or whatever the heck her name is?" My friend thought that was hysterically funny and from then on out, we always referred to her (now ex ) MIL as "Velveeta".
Yesterday, down at "the office" in Greensboro, I was sitting in my cube working on a project. A few weeks ago, a new gal moved in "next door" (also in HR). She's real friendly. Anyway, she spends a lot of her time calling prospective employees to follow up on missing paperwork and/or checking their references. As such, I hear her announce her name A LOT. "This is Veeta (so and so) from (so and so company)".
VEETA?
Someone else in "the office" said to her, "Hey, how exactly do you pronounce your name?"
To which she replied,
"It sounds like Velveeta except without the VEL but I'm just as smooth and creamy".
That just cracked me up! And, I suppose it was a good thing she didn't say instead, "...but I'm just as quick and easy!" (see the picture above).
Mrs. B

No comments: