Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The People You Never See Again...?

A few years ago, I blogged about this topic (and speaking of never seeing things again, I can't find that particular posting, must have been on the Yahoo 360 Blog which is long gone now). I'd listed many categories of people you might have known over the course of your life that, when you get to thinking about it, you realize you'll probably never see again.
What dawned on me today (after reconnecting with a former sister-in-law on Facebook) and reflecting on some of my other connections, both on Facebook and LinkedIn, is that people that once would have stayed gone (you never WOULD see them again) can now come back into your life; albeit virtually in most cases.
I have to admit to have become fascinated with finding people, at least the ones I used to care about in some way. No, I'm not going to purposefully seek out folks that I didn't like or did crappy things to me and invite them back into my life (and if they find me and send me a request, I'll either ignore it or deny it). But, in general, don't we all have people from our past that we found ourselves wondering, "I sure hope so and so is doing well. I'd like to know what they are up to. I wonder how their family is doing? Do they still live in...?" etc.
So, thanks to the world we now live in, I've reconnected with childhood friends, former neighbors, people I went to high school and college with, previous co-workers, ex boyfriends, ex in-laws and friends I met in Italy.
Maybe I'm weird for finding this fascinating? But, I'm definitely not alone, if I am, since we're all out there accepting each other's requests! I'm sure there is some reason for this, and, if I think about it long enough, I might be able to figure out what's going on here, not just with "me and mine", but with everyone who is out there finding and reconnecting with their pasts.
Mrs. B

No comments: