Monday, October 13, 2008

Old Habits Die Hard

I remember when I was in high school and college and, then, later working, I had the tendency to put off working on a project (usually something that involved writing something) until the bitter end. Now, this didn't mean that I was not thinking about it, or, perhaps, even researching the topic and gathering data; but, when it came to doing the actual deed, I always waited until a night or two before it was due.
I'm sure you could query my good pal Kathleen (who, I believe, was of the same mind regarding this); she'll tell you all about the times (more than once) that we'd wait until the night before one of our Psychology papers were due (a big deal because, not only did the research and writing have to be good, they were very picky about the format of how it was presented as well) to finish writing the paper (long-hand) and then type it out. These were back in the days when there were no word processors (that I knew of) and so we'd take turns typing a page on her electric typewriter. We'd literally be up all night doing so.
In all honesty, I always felt that, if under the gun, I tended to produce a much better product than if I had completed in days before it was due.
To that point (and this is an extreme one), one year in college I was taking a Women's Studies course. Actually, it was my second semester and I'd really enjoyed and been extremely interested in the first semester. It was the same instructor. But, alas, I got involved with a particular person who wasn't the best influence on me. I ended up not going to that class more often than I went; I missed papers, tests, and, obviously, class instruction and participation. About the only thing I did (half-assed) was peruse the text book.
Anyway, one day I "woke up" and realized I was in real danger of flunking out of that class. I hung my head and went to talk to the instructor about it. Of course, I had to hear (rightfully so) how disappointed she was in me for not showing up and how much they'd missed my active involvement. As to be expected, she informed me that I was currently receiving an F in the class. Oh my God! To think it was one thing, to hear it confirmed, quite another. Luckily for me she had a heart. She told me that the final exam was the next day (this is likely why I'd gone in to talk to her; I can't imagine I was so out of it that I didn't know when the final was). It was a essay exam, meaning, each person in the class would receive a different topical question (on the day of the exam) and they'd have to spend the entire exam time answering, in essay format, that question. Sounds easy enough, however, the questions were all based on what everyone else had been learning/discussing in class. She said to me, "Whatever you get on that exam, I will give you as the grade for the course". I must have looked quite pathetic standing there and she obviously took some pity on me (why I'll never know because I did not deserve it). She added, "Look, I know you've missed the classes and the discussion. All I can tell you is, read the book, it will help. And, think, too, about what we learned last semester".
That is exactly what I did. I wish I could remember the question I was given but, some 25+ years later, I cannot. However, I remember my grade.
B+.
Why I'm blogging about this is because the folks I'm doing some consulting work for asked me to put together a summary of the pros and cons of implementing a fairly minor executive compensation element. There was no discussion as to when they wanted it. But, in my typical fashion, I did set about to gather data by researching a few key HR web sites for information, talking to another compensation consultant, reviewing past practices of companies I've worked for, etc. I've written a lot of notes and have just as many unwritten thoughts in my head. Last night while talking to Mr. B, I rattled off a few very well presented points on the topic.
BUT, I have yet to write it all down! I said to Mr. B, "It's just like having to write a damn paper in high school or college! I'm procrastinating!" Now, obviously, if the company I'm working with had said, "Could you get it done by such and such a date?" we would have negotiated and, yeah, it would have been done. But, since they didn't, I'm having to self-monitor. And, a lot of other things have all of a sudden become more interesting to do, more important to do, etc., including some of their other projects.
Anyway, last night I told myself that, "Enough is enough!" I want to get it off my plate, even if they haven't asked for it. I'm going to buckle down today and tomorrow and take the (probably no more than 2-3 hours total) to pull everything together to write this (likely one page) summary.
That is, unless I decide it's time to mop the floor, put the dog food into zip lock bags (freaking pantry moths), pick up dog poop, clean the toilets, scour the stove, organize my closet, etc., etc.
I suppose one side benefit of procrastinating one thing is a bunch of other things than need to get done get done.
Mrs. B


4 comments:

Analee said...

you're preaching to the choir!!!

this was on my sister's blog a while back... i think you'd appreciate it (i know i did).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P785j15Tzk&feature=related

Mrs. B said...

Update:
I got it done! I am so proud of myself and think the result is pretty good, too.
It only took me 2 1/2 hours, too!

Analee said...

um, what was the secret? i've had a project to... START... since thursday when i finished my last one. i have yet to even open the cadd file with all the well locations, which making an excel sheet of these is the first step in building a model.

uugh.

today i did nothing except prepare to make pizza for dinner. and i made the dough last night!

the kitchen is clean though! :)

Mrs. B said...

I think the primary motivation for me today was that we are leaving on our vacation in about a week and a half. I know there is at least one other project they want me to plug away on before I go; this in addition to the "day to day" stuff I do. So, I REALLY needed to get this one off my plate. PLUS, it was bugging me that it was hanging out there.
Believe me, YESTERDAY was the day when I found all sorts of other things to do OTHER than "work"!