Monday, October 20, 2008

Baskets 'O Beanies

As in, Beanie Babies. Yeah, you read that right. Mrs. B's got a bounty 'o Beanie Babies collected during those many years of frequent business travel. I would buy them, mostly, in airport gift shops, but, a few I picked up elsewhere. The rule of thumb was, they had to be either a gift or I could only buy them while on a trip.

For many years, this was a fun past-time. When I was a single gal, I had them out for show. My dad even made a very pretty cherry shelf for me to display them on, as evidenced by this picture taken with Clyde back in 2001.

Anyway, after I met Mr. B, it seemed sort of silly for a soon-to-be married woman to display what was, in essence, stuffed animals. So, I wrapped them all up very carefully and put them in a huge cardboard box marked "Beanies". This is where they've been for three or four years now.
I tried a few years ago to give them away to a children's hospital or orphanage, but, they won't take "used" stuffed animals. I suppose I can understand why being that truly used stuffed animals could be breeding grounds for all sorts of nasties, but, MY Beanies were (and still are) in pristine brand-new condition. Each and every one of them still has their original tag (or otherwise they are worthless) and each tag is encased in a plastic tag protector. Even back when I started to collect them, I must have thought I might eventually sell them.
I know people do sell them on eBay, but, they go for something like $2.50 each. Hardly worth the effort. And, I really did not want to donate them to some smelly store like Salvation Army or Goodwill.
Well, I finally found the opportunity to off-load the Beanies to hopefully one (or three) good homes.
The Durham Symphony is holding its annual gala in December. Part of this is a silent auction of items comprised mostly of decorative/holiday stuff, some jewelry, some gourmet food stuffs, wine, gift certificates and the like. I got to thinking, "Hey, it's going to be holiday time, maybe some kid will see my Beanies and just have to have them so their parents will have to bid on them", or, maybe, some closet Beanie collector will be there.
In any event, I got them all out and they all look wonderful. Nice to see them again! I counted them all up...36! I decided I had to keep three of them but the rest are going to the auction! I divided them into three categories and will, ultimately, wrap them up in some appropriate looking basket or container that looks fetching and festive and hopefully the DSO will get some money off my Beanies.

The "Birds, Bugs and Sea Creature Creature Chums" Collection

The "Bears and Barnyard Buddies" Collection


The "Puppies, Felines and Ferocious Friends" Collection

As I was cataloging them, I realized that every single one of them is now "retired". And, boy, some of their names sure are cute, too! Like, Goatee the Mountain Goat, for example. Or, Strut the Rooster.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable way to spend the afternoon!

Mrs. B

1 comment:

Analee said...

i hope they sell for enough that makes you happy you sent them away!

i know it is hard to get rid of something that was once so important to you. but in the end, i'm sure it'll be worth it.

kinda like what nathaniel is doing right now. i know that there is an emotional attachment to those games... but i think after that first week with a BIG price tag... he'll see those dollar signs when he thinks of the memories now (which will make them even sweeter)!