Saturday, April 10, 2010

Old Geezer Dude Part Deux

Remember I blogged about the old dude at the eye glass place who took forever and a day to get his thoughts from brain out of mouth? Well, I ran into him again today when I swung by the store to pick up my new glasses/sun glasses.
I walked in, saw that he was the one working and almost walked back out again. But, I really wanted to have the new specs for my trip to DC, so, I squared my shoulders and marched up to him.
OMG. OMG. OMG. Not only was he just as slow as ever, he asked me AGAIN how long I wear my contacts and if I was interested in hearing about his method (tried and true; been doing it over 35 years, blah blah blah) of cleaning them so that they'd last two or even three months. He got out a piece of paper to write down his instructions but I told him, politely but firmly, that I really was not interested. I mean, c'mon! Who do you think I'm going to trust with my peepers? My eye doc or this guy who couldn't even remember I told him last week I didn't care.
So, he had to clean both pairs of glasses (ten minutes) and then fit them. The sun glasses were a bit floppy, so, he took them to another station to tighten them up. Then, he had to clean them again because he got his big fat thumb prints on the lenses. ARGH. I didn't notice a case for the sun glasses so I asked if there was a case. He must have been mad at me because he snapped, "I'll get you one, I have to clean your glasses first, ok?"
Here is the funny thing. After we were done, he shows me on the receipt where they ask customers to go to their web site and rate their in-store experience. He said, "So, if you give me all 5s, my grandchildren will write you a thank you note. If you give me 1s or 2s, I'll send a contract (person) to your house. I couldn't believe it. He was joking (I think) but what a stupid ass thing to say.
Needless to say, I'm going to complain about him. I'm not worried about him sending a hit man to my house, of course, since he'll never remember what he said, who I am, he was kidding (I think) and any hit man he attempted to hire would probably do the hit on him after about 10 minutes of talking to him.
Sheesh!
Mrs. B

1 comment:

Margot said...

I had a similar experience in the late 80s at a Cleveland Singer store in their repair section. A very sweet, elderly (even now my recollection would be elderly) black lady in charge. Will spare you the technical problem w/my machine but she was AWFULLLLL!

I felt badly because she was such a sweetheart. So I didn't complain to management.
Just took my sewing machine elsewhere.

Your geezer doesn't sound like a sweetheart. He sounds ... desperate? demented?