Sunday, April 13, 2008

I've Been Watching TONS of Movies: Part One

Another by-product of Mr. B being so incredibly busy these past few weeks (it's actually been longer but the past few weeks in particular he's been REALLY REALLY busy; this is why they in the business refer to this as THE BUSY SEASON) is that I've had the chance to watch a bunch of movies. I've mostly tried to pick ones that I think either Mr. B simply wouldn't care for OR ones that he's mentioned to me that he's already seen (but I have not).
So, here's a brief run down of the flicks that have been playing at The B's B&B:
Gone Baby Gone
This was directed by Ben Affleck, who, as most of you know, normally is on the other side of the camera. Like the movies he's collaborated on with his good friend Matt Damon, this one takes place on the tough streets of a dingy suburb near Boston (where, apparently, Affleck and Damon actually grew up together). Anyway, the cast is pretty good; lots of heavy-hitters (such as Morgan Freeman and Ed Harris) plus Affleck's younger brother, Casey (of the Ocean's 11, 12 and 13 movies plus he was recently nominated for his role in a Jesse James movie) and Amy Ryan (nominated for her role in this film for best supporting actress but she lost out to The movie is based on the book by the guy who wrote "Mystic River", Dennis Lehane
As I wrote in my NetFlix review, I wasn't really sure this movie would be that good, but, it turned out to be better than I thought; about the young daughter of a terrible young street-wise mother who gets kidnapped and all of the folks that get involved trying to track her down. At the end of the movie, the characters are faced with the proverbial question of "What is REALLY the right thing to do in this situation?", and, it's not a simple answer. I'd say it's definitely worth a rental.
Mrs. B

No comments: