Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Brushing My Hair


I do want to post something since it's been a few days and my admiring public is waiting. But, lately, my allergies (or WHATEVER) have really been giving me a run for my money. Meaning, they are truly bothering me. And, in odd-ball ways. Sometimes, I feel "them" in my ears. Today, I actually feel "them" in my TEETH, or, rather, my gums. Why? What is it? The gunk dripping down from wherever; draining; and, getting to my teeth? Ack! Am I gonna get something like Meth Teeth? UGH!

Ok, so, I was digging around in my writing files and I found the following writing exercise. I think I wrote this three or four years ago. I got the exercise out of a good book entitled, "How To Become A Writer" (I should really finish reading this/doing all of the exercises).

I remember this one; it was HARD because the directive was to write about something very simple; a mundane task you do every day, like, brushing your hair. But, you were supposed to put as much detail in at as possible.

So, this is what I came up with. You try it, it ain't easy!

Mrs. B


Brushing My Hair

I walk into the bathroom, turning on the three light switches with my right hand as I do so. I look at myself in the mirror. Likely, I grimace; not liking what I see. I decide that my hair is messy and that it needs brushing down. I probably have not styled it at all and so it's really not looking so hot.

I reach down with my right hand and open up the third drawer (the one on the bottom). With my left hand, I rummage around the drawer to find my vent brush. I pick it up and brush down the hair on the left side of my face first. As I brush downwards, I flick the brush upwards as it hits the ends of my hair in order to sort of flip up the ends. I repeat this same thing for the hair on the right side of my face. More than likely, I do not pay any attention to the back of my head as I can't see it so it's not there. Next, I brush the hair on the left side of my face, the hair next to my left ear, over my left ear. I repeat the flicking of the ends motion. I repeat this for the hair on the right side of my face.

I pout and pucker my lips at myself in the mirror as I always do this and I don't know why.

I turn around and open the door of the white closet with my right hand and with my left hand, I take out the bottle of hairspray. I turn back towards the mirror without shutting the door to the white closet. With my right, hand, I fluff the back side of my hair up to puff it out some. I take the lid off of the hairspray bottle with my right hand and spray my hair with my left hand, using my right hand to continue to fluff and puff my hair and also to arrange my bangs to my liking.

I turn around and put the hairspray bottle back into the white closet (it is still in my left hand) and shut the door to the closet with my right hand.

I walk out of the bathroom and turn the lights off with my left hand as I leave.

1 comment:

Analee said...

i like your new n&c photo.

i was gonna post something i do every day but i agree . that is hard. i can't think of a thing to say except "get up, look at the water, put in powder, shake, put in baby's mouth"

guess i'm too much of a scientist to write things descriptively.
maybe ill try again later.