Sunday, April 13, 2008

I've Been Watching TONS of Movies: Part Two

Sorry that my last entry only had one movie! I was learning how to embed videos from You Tube so wasn't sure if it was even going to work. Obviously, it did! Yey! But, these reviews of mine are pretty long, so, I'll probably keep them to one per entry.
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Wow, what an intense movie! And, an excellent one (unlike another one I'll be reviewing later that came out around the same time; mid-70s). I had seen bits and pieces of this flick over the years, but, never in order/in one sitting. So, I purposefully decided it was time to do so. I was not disappointed (even though I knew what was going to happen at the end because I'd seen it at one point in time). This is one of those movies that is superior in just about every way possible; the acting, the directing, the screenplay; even the music. It's also one of those movies that makes you run the gamut of emotions: amused, disgusted, scared, annoyed, thoughtful, sad. If I'm not mistaken, a bunch of Academy Awards went to this movie and those folks associated with it, rightfully so.
So, jokes aside (I remember hearing this move referred to as "One Cuckoo Flew Over The Rest"), this is a tale of a guy, RP McMurphy (Jack Nicholson's character) that's sort of a low-level criminal. He keeps getting intro trouble in jail; won't work, acts crazy, etc., so, they send him off to a mental institution to be evaluated. While there, he inspires a group of male patients to stand up for themselves and to question authority (as illustrated by the nasty Nurse Ratched; an eerily and creepily excellent Louise Fletcher). The entire time he's there, he sort of thinks it's one big joke, but, as he comes to find out, it is anything BUT. There are other great performances by actors you'll recognize, Danny DeVito, for one.
And, I'll tell you; if you've ever known someone or loved someone that's been in a place like this AND have some control over it, you'll likely think twice before you ever allow them to go there again.
Mrs. B

No comments: