Monday, September 4, 2017

The Whole30 Day 8: One Week In!


Yeah, yeah; I've skipped blogging for several days.  Sorry!  Life has been quite busy with a variety of non-Whole30 activities going on.  Plus, The Whole30 itself continues to keep me occupied with planning, shopping, prepping, cooking, and eating!

So, here we are in the morning of Day 8.  An entire week has gone by since we began.  I'm betting many of you are curious as to how we're doing, thinking, feeling; about all of this craziness.  1.  Can we see any results yet?  2.  Are we more energetic?  3.  Have we spent our entire life savings on ghee?  4.  Are we still eating eggs and avocado?  5.  Have we slipped up and gone off-plan?  6.  Is this really worth it?

Answers:  1.  Mark says he can see a change in my body; I don't see it.  I do, however, see his face thinning out.  

2.  Short answer is no.  We have not yet hit the "tiger blood" phase whereby we are (supposedly) going to feel like, well, Tony the Tiger:  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT. Mark had a headache pretty much all week.  I was extremely irritable and grouchy on Day 4. Neither one of us are sleeping well.  Why?  I'm not sure why but they suggest if you are waking up in the middle of the night you may need to eat a portion of protein about an hour before you go to bed.  There is some scientific rational behind this; all I can think is, "MORE FOOD?  UGH!" Seriously, eating a hard boiled egg or some salmon or tuna or whatever at 9:00 at night DOES NOT APPEAL. But, it's either this, or give up the coffee.  Yes, apparently coffee consumed in the morning can still cause disruption in sleep patterns in some people at night.  Why was this never an issue before The Whole30?  Well, in all honesty, it was; it's just that since we usually had a few drinks in the evening, we fell asleep quickly and stayed asleep longer but eventually we'd both wake up and do the whole barely sleeping on the surface thing.  I have to admit, if I'm going to be waking up in the middle of the night, I'd just assume have had my glass of wine. But, that'll be an issue for Day 31. Ok, that was a long, not short, answer for #2!

3.  I cannot believe how expensive this ghee stuff is!  I have a few friends who have told me it's cheaper at Indian places or Trader Joe's; unfortunately, we don't have either of these places close enough to make the drive worth it.  We do have a Trader Joe's in Sarasota but that place is a total madhouse.  I found some ghee on-line that wasn't too terribly expensive, all things considered.  Mark says he can make it (all it is is clarified butter) but he really doesn't have the time and no one wants to trust me with this culinary feat.  Other than the ghee, however, I'm pleased to report that we are actually spending less money at the grocery.  I shop the perimeter of the store to get produce and meat and eggs.  I only venture into the center of the store for approved canned goods, toiletries, or pet supplies. Obviously we are saving money on not purchasing beer or wine.  

4.  Yes.  In fact, I am eating eggs, spinach, mushrooms, avocado (cooked in GHEE) this very moment.  Never underestimate the power and versatility of eggs and avocado.  In fact, you can even make avocado deviled eggs!  No, I'm not really sick of them YET, but, ask me on Day 17.

5.  No, with the only exception being we did have a tiny piece each of gluten-free cracker yesterday when we took communion at church.  We debated; we seriously did.  But in the end, Jesus trumps Whole30.  At least we went for the gluten-free cracker and not the yummy King's Hawaiian bread option.  Note:  The program rules do allow for communion.

6.  Honestly, I don't know yet how it'll pan out for us physically and if we'll discover that "something" has been bothering us/making us feel ill.  Obviously if we do, then heck yes it will have been worth it.  If we eventually start sleeping better, having more energy, start glowing; well, duh; yes, it will have been worth it.  It's just too soon to say on that front. What HAS been worth it so far is we've been spending time together preparing meals and that's been fun. We're also in the "We're in this together!" mode; which is bonding.  And, we both agree that, if a person drinks alcohol on a routine basis, it's a good idea to occasionally take a fast from it to ensure there are no "issues" there, if you know what I mean.  Yes, we miss our evening cocktails, or a beer after a long day's work outside, or, a celebratory drink after a big event.  I'm happy to report that neither one of us are climbing the walls or seeing purple dragons.  

Most of the meals we've prepared (out of The Whole30 book) have been quite tasty.  My favorites up to this point have been the Grilled Coconut-Curry Chicken with Cauliflower Rice and the Roasted Beet Salad with Grapefruit-Thyme Vinaigrette.  Last night we had Chicken Primavera over Spaghetti Squash which was also quite good (although it took me almost all afternoon to prepare).  We're about ready to tackle modifying some of our favorite pre-Whole30 recipes to make them plan compliant.  Frankly, this may be easier (and less time consuming) than making brand new recipes every day.

No more pictures of food on htis blog, however; it's too time consuming (you'll have to follow me on Facebook to see these!)

So, overall, we're doing ok enough to keep on going.  Frankly, neither one of us are quitters, anyway; so, there'd have to be some significant reason why we'd not continue.  I can't think of any, so....stay tuned for more of my adventures with ghee.

Mrs. B



No comments: