Wednesday, August 30, 2017

The Whole 30 Days 2-3: This is VERY Time Consuming!!!!!




So, I was reading in The Whole30 "Bible" what, in general, we might expect to be feeling right about now, two-three days in.  This is what it says (edited down somewhat):

"The alarms rings on Day 2 and you pop out of bed expecting to feel great, just like you did yesterday.  Instead, you feel headache-y, a little sore, foggy...kind of like a hangover.  You're pretty sure you didn't down a fifth of tequila in your sleep, so what happened?  Let's revisit what you were consuming before you started the Whole30 (a list of a bunch of "bad stuff")...Here's a little math equation for Days 2 to 3.  The amount of suck you experience in this phase is directly proportional to the amount of junk you consumed before you began the program."

This likely explains why neither one of us feels necessarily "suck-y" right now, the morning of Day 3; because we were already on a low-carb diet (ok, we totally blew it the last month, but we'd been on it over 2 1/2 years prior) before we began our Whole30.

Personally, I'm thinking this is WAY TOO MUCH FOOD to consume day in and day out for the next month.  I'm also more freaked out by the amount of time we'll be spending planning, shopping, and preparing food than as to how my body is feeling (mind over matter; shut-up, body, THE BRAIN is talking now!)  I'm also wondering how much more water can I possibly drink in a day plus I'm already getting tired of eggs and avocado.

Yesterday I could not finish my breakfast of leftover chicken salad, so I had it again at noon, along with some fruit; all the while memories of me and my sisters sitting at our kitchen table when we were little kids until we finished our gigantic plates of spaghetti flashing through my brain. All those years ago, it took Ann one hour, me one hour and a half, and Kathy two hours. In all fairness to my Mom and Dad, it was likely more like 20 minutes, 30 minutes, and 40 minutes, but it seemed like FOREVER.

That's what yesterday was like; a never-ending plate of chicken salad (now I'm  thinking about Joan Crawford forcing her kids to eat cold raw meat for three days in a scene from the campy movie "Mommie Dearest".)

No more wire hangers EVER!  Oh wait, that's another scene

Note to self:  This is YOUR choice, remember?

In place of our evening cocktail hour, we took Hesed for a long walk and then returned to make our third meal of grilled steak, roasted sweet potatoes and onions, and blistered green beans with roasted cashews.  Ok, this was more like normal times as it's one of our standard go-to meals (minus the cashews in the green beans which we needed to add last night to get our portion of healthy fat). Also minus the bottle of red wine we likely would have consumed with the meal, but who's "wine-ing" (obviously  me).

Looks so sad and lonely without its glass of red wine :-(

The meal was even more normal due to the fact that Apollo and Pete showed up to beg. Hmmmm....maybe they want to do The Whole30, too?  Apollo and ghee.  I can just see it.

WE WANT STEAK!

This morning Mark made a spinach frittata with a side of jalapeno bacon.  I added chopped tomatoes to the top of mine (it would have been better if I'd just slathered it with salsa).  I took one look at the plate and said, "This can't be right, it's huge!"  Mark said, "It says "Serves Two!"   

Holy Cow!

Needless to say, I ate about 2/3 of it.   Mark doesn't seem to have any trouble cleaning his plate; he must have belonged to the "I Eat All My Spaghetti Club" as a child.  Actually, I know it's because he weighs roughly 40 pounds more than I do so he requires more fuel.

Case in point.  Now it's 12:30 and he's back in the kitchen making his lunch.  I'm like, "blech".  I know I need to eat something, though.

We've realized we simply can't make 3 meals per day, so, in general, we'll have a "Ploughman's Lunch" mid-day; hard boiled eggs, lunch meat, olives or nuts, carrot sticks, fruit, etc.  Maybe some leftovers.  Otherwise, we'll literally be in the kitchen cooking and eating more than half of the day.

How am I feeling physically?  Actually, pretty decent.  Maybe the train wreck will hit in a few more days?

Speaking of which, I'll be missing a few days of blogging since I have a lot of other things going on the rest of this week and into the weekend.

Signing off to go eat.

Sigh.

Mrs. B

No comments: