Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The Whole30 Day 1: I've Got Food Coming Out of My Ears!!!!!



I woke up raring to go!  Seriously!  After over a month of planning, it's time to do this!

I leaned over and said to Mr. B:  "Happy Day 1!"  Grunt.

We did both brave the scale.  I didn't really want to (for many reasons, I typically avoid the scale) but I figured it would be good to know IF I lost, gained, or stayed pat during this experience.  The number was about what I expected having spent the better part of this past month on vacation, celebrating, and in general getting rid of everything in the house we are not supposed to eat (aside: we did give a lot of it away, too). 

First up; drinking my iced coffee with no creamer or sweetener.  And, no flavored coffee, either; just plain old coffee (Paul Newman Organic K-Cup).  STRONG.  I made do with a splash of plan approved coconut "creamer" stuff. I'm on the fence as to whether I'll continue to use this after the cartoon is gone as I could hardly tell any difference; the coffee was just STRONG.  No need to worry that I'll want more than the suggested two cups per day.  No way.

Found it at Fresh Market, although Publix has something similar 

Because I had a meeting at church at 9:15, this meant we had to eat our breakfast before I went.  I'll admit, I was not hungry in the least but knew it was right to do it, anyway.  So, turning to our trusty three day/3 per day meal plan, Mr. B rustled up our breakfast of eggs scrambled in ghee (if the sound of this grosses you out, all ghee is is clarified butter), topped with avocado and the homemade salsa I made last week plus Mark's sausage (which is in essence the Jimmy Dean recipe minus the MSG).  I ate it all and was totally stuffed.

Someone commented on Facebook that they thought this looked "disgusting", but it's really that I'm not a food photographer!

After my church meeting, I spent the better part of an hour preparing our lunch; chopped chicken salad using the chicken Mark had prepared last weekend and Whole30 mayo (in essence nothing more than egg, tasting olive oil, dried mustard, lemon juice, S&P).  I added additional lemon juice, garlic, and a bunch of chopped cilantro to turn it into Citrus-Cilantro Mayo.  I threw in celery and radishes into the chicken and tossed it all with the mayo.  We spooned the chicken salad over a bed of arugula, topped it with more avocado and we each had a side of fruit (him 1/2 a grapefruit, me a handful of cherries).

Pretty flavorful and something I might have ordered in a restaurant.  Next time, I'd add more cilantro to the mayo

We ate this at 1:00 and I almost immediately began to stress out about eating dinner at 5:45 (earlier than we usually eat as Mr. B had his own church meeting to attend at 6:30). Additionally, I realized the Meal 3 I'd planned wasn't going to work out because it called for Mr. B to grill steaks and sweet potatoes.  This also meant our Day 2 Meal 2 wouldn't happen because it called for leftover sweet potatoes.  So, course correction!  We opted for pork chops, Mark's sauce, and zoodles (the pork already having been braised in Mark's sauce as he made it last weekend).  

Roll me over, Beethoven!

Mark went off to church, I cleaned up the kitchen, played with Hesed, and then I took her for a long walk.

Believe it or not, two hours later, I was actually feeling the stirrings of hunger.  Nothing awful, just a small twinge.  And, honestly, I was really missing my evening cocktail (another reason I took Hesed out for a long walk; distraction!)

Mark came home and said, "I'm hungry.  Are you hungry?"  It was close to 9 so I didn't want to eat but he ate the leftover zoodles and sauce plus a small handful of cashews (that he'd roasted himself so we knew there was nothing bad lurking in them like peanut oil, a big no-no).

So, why so much food at each meal?  The basic rules are this.  Each meal you need to have:
1.  Protein
2.  Vegetables and/or a small portion of fruit (carbs)
3.  Healthy fat (avocado, approved nuts, seeds, unsweetened coconut, etc.)

The proportions are to be a palm size or two of the protein, 3 1/2 cups of vegetables PER MEAL and then the fat; not over doing it (e.g., maybe 1/2 an avocado) but that fat is needed for sure.

Note:  Snacking isn't forbidden but you're really supposed to eat enough at each meal that you don't really need to.  If you find yourself hungry, you've either not eaten enough or not had all three components.

The likely culprit for why Mark was hungry last night was we didn't have any healthy fat at dinner (cooking fat, yes, but not that much).  And, if you have a snack, you need to have at least two of the three components.  So, some fruit and half a hard-boiled egg.  Or, some fruit and a handful of cashews.  Or, some carrot sticks dipped in guacamole.  You get the picture.

So, live and learn; don't forget the healthy fat (which, of course, runs counter to the way most of us have been eating since the late '80s (the whole non-fat craze)).

How am I feeling this morning of Day 2?  Ok.  I slept ok, not great.  My body was probably wondering what happened to my sugar-alchohol, so, I was a bit fitful.  Plus, I got up more than usual to use the facilities because I drank a lot more water yesterday than I am used to.

Breakfast this morning was a repeat of yesterday's lunch.  If you've not yet realized it, there is a lot of "make a lot of this and use it for several meals" or, "cook this item and use it four different ways".  Or, if you make a batch of something that can be frozen and saved for later, make a double batch." This helps so that you're not continually in the kitchen or at the grocery store.

Happy Day 2!  On wards!

Mrs. B

No comments: