Monday, February 6, 2012

Nigel: Six Years Gone


Six years ago today, we lost our beloved Nigel. A lot has happened in six years, to be sure. One thing that has not happened is that I have not ceased to miss him.

In honor of one of the best buddies I've ever had in my life, here is the poem I finally managed to write one year after his death.

Still missing you, Nigel.

Nigel’s Ears

Every so often
I’ll still find your hair
a whisper of a reminder
that you were once here

Then I close my eyes
blink back tears
and wish I could once again
kiss your silky ears

I keep the towel you died upon
tucked in a special place
as I do a whisker that once
was on your cherished face

I keep your favorite Buggy-toy
safely on my nightstand
(for a long time after you left me
I slept with it clutched within my hand)

When my sadness is such
that it rends me apart
I seek your precious memory
which has never left my heart

It’s been a year today
my heart’s begun to mend
aided by the certainty that
one day I’ll see you again

When my time comes
I will have no fear
for I will stoop and scoop you up
and kiss your silky ears

Dedicated to my best pal
Nigel T.
January 19, 1991-February 6, 2006
I’ll never stop missing you, Buggy.
Ever.

1 comment:

M said...

I can't believe it's been six years. Nigel was a great kitty - and your poem is just lovely!