Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What's UP With Her?

Lucy, that is.
Lately, she's been a real pain in the you know what; in essence, not minding as well as she usually does (in general) and then doing a few very naughty things in particular.
The other day, we (Lucy and I) were doing some work in the backyard. As we've come to do, we sometimes open up the garage door and go back and forth from the front to the back of the house. Lucy typically hangs out in the side yard but will venture into the garage on occasion. She hardly ever goes out to the front as she has been taught she has to be told it is okay.
I went into the garage and opened the garage door so I could go water the plants on the porch. As we were standing there waiting for the door to open, I saw the feet of one of our neighbors, Steve, his dog, Dino and a baby stroller. I had an instant thought of "Oh dear" and reached to grab Lucy but I was too late. She'd already darted past me and had run down the driveway towards them before I moved an inch.
I followed after her, saying in my best "alpha" voice, "Lucy! Stop! No!" but, she ignored me and proceeded to jump up onto Dino, growling and snarling as she did so.
As I approached her, she backed off and had that look in her eye that she was contemplating running off, but, she didn't; Steve got her collar and passed her off to me as I apologized profusely. He shrugged it off; he later told me that if he had a nickel for every time Dino jumped on another dog he'd be rich.
Still, I was mortified and, frankly, pretty damn pissed off at Lucy for jumping on Dino, certainly, but more so for not obeying yours truly.
Then, yesterday, someone from Budget Blinds came to look at our blind (which, by the way, turned out to just be "stuck"). There were two guys and they showed up a good twenty minutes before they were supposed to. I had PLANNED on putting Lucy out in the yard so I didn't have to deal with her while they were here. Mr. B and I had already discussed that, until we can get her behavior under control, we simply won't let her interact with people she doesn't know how to behave around. In fact, we're going to be taking her back to "class" soon.
Anyway, the guys kept ringing the doorbell, impatient, I guess. So, I left Lucy in the house and went to answer the door. This was a mistake, I should have made them wait and put her out because once I opened the door, she came running into the dining room ("OFF the floor!") and as we all three walked back into the family room, she started to jump up on one of the guys who luckily just ignored her. Again, she basically ignored my commands and started "kissing up" to the other guy, who was petting her and trying to keep her on the ground.
Again, I was embarrassed and angry. After they left, Lucy and I had a little "conversation" about what she'd just done.
Last night, we had the photographers for the reunion over. This time, we put her out in the yard before we even let them into the house. Then, when we all went outside, Mr. B put her on her leash and made her stay close to him. After awhile, she calmed down, but, we left her outside when we went in and she sat by the door making awful pathetic "Poor me, pity me" whimpers.
So, anyway; as I said, Lucy's going back to school (as I write this, I am reminded of a Spinal Tap song entitled "Bitch School" which, although had another sort of bitch in mind, seems appropriate here!) It's pretty obvious that she needs more work on her discipline/manners. WHY this is occurring, I'm not really sure. Could it be she's not getting enough walks (it's hot; I don't tend to walk her as much)? Is it because she's feeling more comfortable living here now and she's Queen B now that Clyde is no longer with us? Is it because she sometimes sleeps on the bed now?
I'm not sure but we've gotta get it nailed because she's driving me freaking nuts.
And, she has lost many of her privileges now. No more will she EVER be allowed off leash unless she's in the backyard. We will NOT let her sniff other dogs on leash (this on the advice of her new instructor) since she can't behave (she does "ok" with dogs off leash, at least Brook and Fritz).
I also decided to send her to Uncle Chuck's (the kennel) the day we have our big family reunion here. I just don't want to deal with Lucy jumping all over everyone/having to constantly keep an eye on her.
So, we'll see! BTW, anyone out there with dogs, I'd welcome your input on what may be causing this change in behavior. Yeah, I know, most of it is probably OUR fault!
Mrs. B





5 comments:

Margot said...

Oh Dear! Kids get on a tear; dogs probably do, too. Several times in my childhood my mom would snarl "I could just shoot you." I knew she wouldn't but that was the signal to Fly Right or I was in dirt to the eyebrows.

Good decision to send Lucy to Uncle Chuck on Big Company Day. She'd be generally good but one less issue to add to the din.

A refesher course never hurt anyone, including a dog.

Love you!

Mrs. B said...

Lucy did ok over at "Grammy's" yesterday. But, she's still heading to Chuck's next Saturday!

BTW, I have NO idea why this is showing up as my most recent post when I posted something AFTER it! That post is beow this one!

Weird, I just don't get these Blog formats sometimes!

Analee said...

ready for the longest blog comment EVER???

i think this could be leftover from when you guys went to mexico. not that that the kennel is a bad place to stay, but it isn't home, and she doesn't have same person (you, alpha) enforcing the same rules in the same location with the same 'pack' ALL the time. and like with most creatures (humans, dogs, cats, etc.) you give them an inch, they take the whole mile! she was given several inches at the kennel... and probably is still testing the waters as to what is allowable (i.e. what she can get away with).

i remember years ago when i met maggie, she was treated more like a child than a dog. not only did it take an incredible amount of training for maggie to become a dog, it took even more training for nathaniel to BECOME the alpha (and not think "aww, she's hungry and she won't eat her dog food, i'll just give her some sandwich." - of coarse he was feeding her cheapo hard food with cheapo soft food on it to make it "palatable", and not only did she not want to eat it, it also gave her diarrhea. now she is on a quality brand hard food ONLY for dogs with sensitive stomachs, no table food, no treats either cause they mess up her very sensitive stomach. and now she always has normal, hard poops! i digress...) when he learned how to be the pack leader, she behaved like she should.

and i'm sure you remember the whole "time share" thing with her other owner. we (he)would work with her SO hard all month to make sure she was behaving as a dog should. each weekend she visited her old owner (who was clearly not an alpha), it'd take the next 4 weeks to get her back right, at which time she would revert back to bad dog & old habits (i.e. peeing and pooping on the floor, begging, not eating DOG food (demanding table food), not walking well on the leash, wanting to get on the furniture, etc.).

then i came along and messed up his alpha status...i am definitely the alpha to her now, even though she's not here, when we go to my parent's house she tucks her tail anytime i give her a command (which is usually "out"- of the kitchen).

i agree with you that the BEST thing that you could do is exactly what you are (re)doing (obedience school). not only does that give her an opportunity to be around other dogs, it also is a nice refresher for both of you, away from home.

maybe visiting a dog park, on leash, for brief periods each day will help her master the technique of ignoring other dogs. she'd get lots of exposure to new smells and new dogs, and that may help with the jumping (dominance) thing. i saw on cesar the other day that he took a dominant (aggressive) dog into his pack. he let the dog stand for a while, sniffing the other dogs as they sniffed him, and anytime the hairs would rise, he'd correct the dog (and shoo away the other dogs). in the end, he got the dominant dog to lie down belly up for a moment (as a sign that cesar was the alpha and this dog was not). after that, the dogs (all of them) just played.

and i also agree with you; it is a good idea to send her away for the big day. not only will she not be taking YOUR attention (correcting her), but she also won't get that over-stimulation that so easily sends her into bad dog! i think you both will be able to enjoy the day much better if you are apart!

Mr. B said...

Well, whatever is UP with her, she better start behaving, or else.

Analee said...

oh, i remembered something. not really related to lucy, but more about my comment above...

maggie does get treats now. she gets ice cubes. not only do they hydrate her, they do NOT give her diarrhea or make her throw up PLUS they are free and easy to clean up and she doesn't get all psycho protective over them (like with pig ears)!!!

ok. i won't try to break my record for world's longest blog... not yet anyway!