Sunday, February 6, 2011

An Experiment


I'll admit it, lately, I've been spending way too much time on Facebook, both in checking out what my 107 friends are doing (although only roughly 1/2 of them ever post anything, which makes me wonder why the heck the other 1/2 even have an account) and in posting my own pictures and other various items. I've been pondering what one Facebook friend does every year; giving Facebook up for Lent. Although I'm no longer religious and it would therefore be hypocritical of me to say I'm giving Facebook up for Lent, I thought I might give it up for awhile and see what happens.

So, yes, I've decided to stay off Facebook for some undefined period of time. I'm not shutting down my account or anything as I have way too much vested in it (pictures, mostly) and it's nice to know they're stored somewhere other than my lap top (as we all know my propensity to have computer issues). But, I'm going to attempt to completely stay off it, and that includes lurking on my friends's pages, during this experiment.

I have to also admit that I've become a bit peevish about the fact that I post stuff and no one (for the most part) ever comments on what I post (even when it's been requested that I post something, like pictures) and/or, in general, no one really communicates with me. In my opinion, Facebook can be an excellent mechanism for keeping in touch but most people don't seem to view it this way. Frankly, this is beginning to irritate me, especially now, when I could use a bit more interaction. I wonder if anyone will even notice I'm not there? Yes, I'm holding a pity party with a guest list of one.

But, really, the main reason is to see how much other stuff I get done if I'm not blathering away on Facebook or reading what everyone else is going on and on about (and getting annoyed because so much of it is really quite stupid).

For instance, perhaps I'll go back to blogging more. And writing; I've several ideas, after all. Not to mention, I really do have quite a bit of things to get done around the house and I should kick up my exercise routine, plow through more books, watch a few movies (my poor NetFlix account has been somewhat neglected) and try to kick Microsoft Heart's ass.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes as I enter Facebook withdrawal.

One day at a time.

Mrs. B

1 comment:

Analee said...

well, i just hope you blog if you aren't posting updates on FB. when my sister gave it up last year, i didn't know what was going on with her. she is NOT a steady blogger.

i may not comment much but it is because i'm at work and i'm not supposed to be online, which doesn't mean i'm not, it just means i do it FAST!