Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Checking In


Two weeks into the period of Lent and I'm delighted to report that I am managing just fine with my fast from all alcoholic beverages.  Yes, there have been a few times when I've missed it, but mostly I've not had any problem at all.  

Although I did enter into this in the spirit of Lent, I've several non-religious yet still positive observations to date:

1.  As I mentioned last, I'm able to stay up later, which has resulted in more nightly reading and working of crossword puzzles.

2.  Sadly (or maybe gladly, depending on your perspective), I still feel quite groggy at times in the morning.  Given the time of year, I'm putting this down to allergies.  And why is this positive?  Because I can stop worrying that it was booze making me groggy.

3.  I keep daily track of my calories, and, as a result of not having several hundred of the same hogged up by alcohol, I am routinely ending the day with quite a surplus of calories.  Which means...

4.  I've safely lost two pounds in the last two weeks with pretty much zero effort (well, other than the whole not drinking thing!)  Since at the same time I'm continuing to tone muscles at the gym, I'm not sure how much weight I'll lose (since muscle weighs more than fat) but I'm guessing my clothes will continue to feel as though they fit better.  Who knows; maybe I'll be able to slide myself into my Girl Scout Jeans.

5.  Between my giving up all alcohol and Mr. B giving up his (Gin) martinis), we've saved quite a sum of money; I anticipate it'll add up to a nice bundle by the end of Lent.

6.  I feel better.  It's true, I really do.  I am encouraged by this, and, in turn, I strongly encourage anyone who may wonder at their own ability to give up booze to give abstinence a whirl, if only for a few days or a week.  What you discover will provide answers.


Mrs. B


No comments: